Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

keven

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2002
US
I have a couple of questions regarding the initial setup of Active Directory.

The AD wizard asks you "What do you want to name your domain?" I used (Just an example name) domain name: Starbucks. Then it asks "What is your registered domain name?" i put (example) starbucks.com. Now my servers full computer name is (example server name: coffee)
"coffee.starbucks.starbucks.com"
When default Exchange email accounts are generated they look like this: "administrator@starbucks.starbucks.com"

Is it possible to change this without reinstalling Active Directory??? Am I a complete idiot? Please let me know.

Thanks

You can chang the defoult e-mail address for Exchange but not for AD.

To change it for exchange check the "User policy" in Exchange System manager.

Wibbie -- Thanks alot! That worked out just fine! Now tell me this. The way i set up the AD names, is that okay? Is it correct? How do people usually configure their name?

Well, this is a long story.
You might whant to look in Microsoft White Papers to find the complete answer...

But a short summary:
I recommend that you use a diffrent name for your Active directory. Like: host.company.local
If you use .com in Active Directory you have to manage the DNS server manualy.
The Active Directory integrated DNS will not forward request for ex. because it is a local domain.

It is not a problem to have sub domain like you have.
Ex. company.company.com
But I think you will be enoyed later, then you are browsing your network.

Best Regards
Wibbe

Wibbe -- Do you suggest when setting up AD that I just leave the "What is your registered domain name?" field blank so it defaults to .local?

I guess if I don't do this, browsing the network will have a much slower performance?

Hi,
No, stop, halt...
Not emty. I dont have the same problem as you have.
I dont get this 2 questions.
Do you run a MS wizard, that do this to you?
I run SP3, does that make any diffrence?

I get question 1. The domain name. Ex. domain.local
Question 2. Chose old good Netbios name. Ex. domain

But this is the a use command: DCPROMO from command prompt.

PS. I hope you have installed the SP for both Windows and Exchange. The userpolicy was NOT good without SP1.

// Wibbe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back