Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have just upgraded my winNT4.0 PDC server to win2k but don't want to install Active Directory. User MGR on the winNT40 BDC is not working. How do I Admin the Users on the domain?

You need to complete the AD install by running the wizard (start->run->dcpromo). I'm assuming that you cancelled out of the wizard that comes after the win2k install is completed.

You cannot have a Win2k DC with Active Directory. If you insist on a WinNT domain, then you need complete the AD domain upgrade, and then demote the AD server to a member server. do this with the BDC offline, and then promote the BDC to a PDC (while still offline or unplugged from the network).

Once you are done with that, delete the computer account for your old PDC (from server manager) and then connect the new PDC to the network.

Finally, recreate the old PDC (now a Win2K server) computer account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back