Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory/ User Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsokc

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2003
US

I just got a new Dell server running 2003 server installed and connected to my domain. I have 1 domain controller running 2000 server. I went to share a folder on the new 2003 server and when I go to set "permissions" I try and add the groups and users from my domain and they do not appear. It pops up with a search dialog box wanting me to search for the users and groups in the domain. Typically, I thought it would discover my active directory for <domainname.com> and show all my users and groups in active directory. I know i'm missing something, can someone help?

This is a change from 2000 to 2003. If you're in an environment with 10's of thousands of objects, this is a godsend because the console doesn't lock up while the query runs.

The easiest way to deal with the new dialog is to type the first several characters of the group name or user logon name and click the "Check Names" button. If there are any names that are similar, it will pop up a box showing the possible matches. If you want to add a bunch of users or groups, simply separate them with a semicolon (;).

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Thanks for your help. I have tried that and it did add the users and I gave them full rights. But, if I go to any workstation it still comes up and says i don't have rights to access that shared folder. Also, in Active Directory on the Domain controller I tried to add a "home folder" (T:)//servername/foldername and it gives me this message:

The //servername/foldername home folder was not created because you do not have create access on the server. The user account hs been updated with the new home folder value but your must create the directory manually after obtaining the required access rights.

It still doesn't sound like i am getting the active directory rights that i have setup through my domain controller. On the server side, I have give full rights to "everyone"

Did you do a forestprep on the 2000 server, cant remember if you need to do that to add a 2003 memeber server or just when adding a 2003 domain controller to a 2000 domain.

Roadki11

You have a permissions problem on the new server. By default in 2003, the share permissions are Everyone:Read. You should change it to Everyone:Full, then limit access at the NTFS level. Also make sure that Domain Admins or Administrators is given access to the folder structure you are trying to modify.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back