Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active directory - user account lockups

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcraig

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2001
CA
Hello everyone!

I have recently built a new server and installed windows 2000 advanced, and set up active directory. I imported all my users from windows NT 4.0 over. My users log into the network using windows 98. Any accounts that were imported over from NT4.0 work with no problems. Any new accounts I create in active directory, the user logs on to their PC with no problems, but every 30 seconds or so, the machine freezes up for about 5 seconds, and then it resumes. They can be doing something as simple as typing along in notepad, and it will freeze, then continue on. As I mentioned, none of the origionally imported users have this problem, and I can not see any difference at all in looking at the two different accounts.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

cant answer why its locking up but have you tried copying a imported account rather than creating a new one?

Sure did. It made absolutely no difference at all. Still locks up. The accounts look identical, same groups, policies, no scripts etc. I am baffled.

Is there anything strange showing up in the event log?

Hey Everyone.

Found the culprit. It was a TSR that is run on our network here. It was trying to reference the old server. Since the users were imported from the old server, the SIDs were the same on the old server and all was fine. The new accounts were not on the old server, so when the TSR went to authenticate the user, it was not on the old server.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back