Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory software install policy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thnoss

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2003
GB
I have software installations setup in 2000 AD that work with a windows 2000 workstation but as soon as I use these same installations for XP workstations I can see the installing software message at boot up but it flashes off really quickly and the software is not installed.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.
Thanks

"That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger"

Check the local event log on the XP stations for errors.

Did you create the MSI's yourself?

"Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar." - Sigmund Freud

softeware instalation is published or assigned? to WS or user? u need to be specfic.

If it flashes up at boot time it's usually in the machine policy.

The msi's were created by my colleague whom has left, but I had a look at the event logs and the error I get tells me that the msi cannot be found or there are insufficient rights, the way I have the rights setup is the ws is a member of a group which has access to the software package in the group policy and has access to the folder with the msi.
The software installation is setup as assigned.

"That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger

Try opening the permissions up on the directory where the MSI's are located and see if they can apply the software.

What does Resultant Set of Policy say about that gpo when run on that XP wks?

Thanks for all the help, it seemed to be a rights problem in the end even though the rights were setup correct we gave the system account of the server rights and then the installations on the xp machines worked.

"That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger

I had the same problem with the same messages in my event log. I had the msi on network hidden share but it always said that the file was not there. I ended up just getting rid of the share and pointing right to the directory and now it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back