Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpalmer

Technical User
Feb 27, 2002
US
I'm trying to find some documentation or procedures on Restoring Active Directory on a Failed Domain Controller using Legato Networker 7.1.2

I've been on Legato's site and have not had much luck. Does anyone have any kind of step by step instructions? I want to use them to test a disaster recovery scenario, where the only Domain Controller in the Forest fails.

Thanks in advance.

The steps are in the Disaster Recovery Guide. Will this be an authoritive restore or a non-authoritive restore?

You will need to reinstall windows as a domain controller

Install the same version client you had on the server before.

Start windows in AD recovery mode by pressing F8 at the prompt and following instructions.

Start the restore

Thanks for the response. Yes this will be an Authoritative Restore.

Followed the Steps outlined in the Disaster Recovery Guide. Performed an authoritative restore. The system came up and I verified that all objects were in AD. I also had to seize some roles (nbd), but the problem I faced was that the DC did not seem to know that it was a "DC". My guess is that the problem may lie in DNS and the SRV records, but I don't know how to troubleshoot them. If I look in DNS, everything appears to be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back