Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory Replication

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanceja

MIS
May 23, 2002
US
Here is my situation:

1 main site with 2 Domain Controllers. One of the servers (MS1) has the FSMO roles assigned and is the Global Catalog for the site. The other server (MS2) is there as backup. We have 11 field offices with one Domain Controller each. Each Field office server is a Global Catalog for their site. All sites connect to main site through VPN. Have setup IP Site Link Bridges between all field offices with main site being the bridge.

Problem: When I go to Active Directory Sites and Services and look at all the sites to see replication MS1 only shows MS2 and a Field office server (call it FO1). All the field office servers show this server (FO1) as automatically generated while MS1 & MS2 are not seen. All the servers shows FO1 as being automatically generated. This indicates to me that they replicate to FO1 first and FO1 sends out information to the other servers.

Is there anyway I can set it up that MS1 is automatically generated at each site and not FO1. I would think it would be better with MS1 being the main replication partner than FO1.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be appreciated. If this has been asked before, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

How to disable transitive site links, or automatic bridging
Because site link transitivity is enabled by default, you would typically need to disable it if you want to create site link bridges.

Open the Active Directory Sites and Services console
Open the Sites folder, and then open the Inter-Site Transports folder.
Right-click either the IP folder or SMTP folder and choose Properties from the shortcut menu.
On the General tab, uncheck the Bridge All Site Links checkbox to disable site link transitivity.
Click OK.

Reference:

A site link bridge creates a chain of site links across which domain controllers from different sites in the site links can directly communicate

you may want to use only site links. I am not sure a site link bridge is what you need.

1. I unchecked the Bridge All Site Links checkbox to see what happens.

2. The reason I am using site link bridges is that I am getting errors on an a Field Office (FO2) that states it cannot replicate to another Field Office (FO10). FO2 & FO10 do not have a VPN connection between the two so have to either one: ignore the errors or create a bridge.

One other item. I went into Replmon and brought up MS1. It shows FO1 as a Bridgehead Connection. I have no idea why this server has this designation. It is not a bridgehead server for either IP or SMTP.

Thanks

You did the right thing by disabling bridge all site links. This will allow the KCC to essentially form a mesh topology and bypass any logical (tieing to physical) hub and spoke topology you have in place. That will take care of your spanning problem, however, you need to allow the KCC to create new replication objects by deleting the replication objects for it then select the option to automatically create new conneciton objects....

site links bridges are not necessary here, techymcse2k is correct, only site links need be created, and ensure that the default site link does not include all sites in it.

the bridgehead will be selected by the KCC...you can configure the bridgehead manually, but you are much better off letting the KCC take care of it.

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE:Security00/03
MCSA:Messaging00
MCSA:Security03
A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back