Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory problem...repair options

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinceF

IS-IT--Management
May 26, 2002
US
I have a Windows 2000 Domain that was created incorrectly and has been in service for a couple of years now. It is Native mode.

The domain was created with a single level name and it has created issues for newer clients and servers. DNS was a mess and AD was in very bad shape.

I was able to fix AD and DNS, and apply a patch for the XP machines to be able to use DNS in a single level domain.

I need to get this domain to 2003 with a proper naming scheme.

My plan is to add a 2003 domain controller to the directory, demote the win2k DCs, rename the domain, then put 2 new W2k3 DCs on it.

I need to do this ASAP, we have projects that can't be started unitl this is done.

Any thoughts???

How many users do you have?

Renaming a domain is not for the faint hearted. There is a 60 page MS document on it. I have not done it but I was talking to an Admin who took 2 days for research and 1 day to implement. It is recommended to pay the price and call MS support.

With a small number of users, I would recommend the new Windows 2003 be built as a new domain, get everything working, tested, then place the workstations online over a weekend, then demote the Window 2000 server, add to the new domain.

I have a ton of info on the renaming and I'm setting up in the lab right now to test out the process.

I'm not really afraid of it, but I would love to hear about different scenarios.

I have been mulling the idea of a completly new domain, but I think there would be too many isssues, I have about 65 users.

65 users is not too much (generally) to recreate all AD user info manually, but it is work.
For more opinions go to the Minasi site, post under the AD forum; couple of AD MVPs there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back