Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory possible after 2k Server setup???

Status
Not open for further replies.

parallon

MIS
Dec 27, 2002
US
Just a quick and probably stupid question, but here it goes; Just finished setting up a new Win2k Server box, and got everything working good. Only 12 people are going to be accessing this server, which is the only one, and I was told that it was not necessary to install Active Directory for this small amount of clients. Now is where I ran into a problem. I went to install Exchange 2k Server, and wouldn't you know it, the docs. state that there is no built in directory service in this version of Exchange like there was previously. It uses Win2k's Active Directory service. Well to make a long story short and get right to the question, is adding Active Directory easy to do once everything else is already set up? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Parallon "I used to think that the more that you knew, the farther you would go, then I realized that the more that you know, the more they use you."

-Me

Hi parallon,

First of all that somebody told you that it is not feasable to install Active Directory for 12 users, tht's is not completely true. You said that you installed Exchange 2k Server. This server uses the same Active directory of windows 2000 server. so instead of installing Exchange 2k Server, you can directly setup the Active Directory in your windows 2000 server. It's an easy process, no hassels at all. You can goto the admininstrative tools in control panel and selcet the active directory option there. After setting this up you can create users as per your requirements. You can give them full rights, administrative rights or restricted rights in there.

speaking of Active Directory, is there an AD forum?
We're about to upgrade our seven 4.0 servers to W2K Server, and we want a web portal. Would AD do the trick?

Thanks!

Corie

To set up active directory initially run dcpromo from the run dialog box and you can set it up and remove AD at any time in the servers lifetime, although removing AD takes more careful planning than setting it up.

Chris.

So, basically, after installing Active Directory, I will then have to set up all my users and groups all over again? Another part of Hanwant's response kinda puzzled me when he said that installing Exchange Server was not necessary because it uses the same directory service as Win2k Server. I am aware of them using the same directory service, but what do you do for internal e-mail then? Sorry if these questions are a bit elementary, but just got thrown into this position because I have some computer skills. "I used to think that the more that you knew, the farther you would go, then I realized that the more that you know, the more they use you."

-Me

When install AD it will take the user and group accounts that you have on that server already and convert them to AD versions.

After you have AD installed you will then need to install your exchange server software.

i had one time child domain with 2 servers. now i don't have those servers physically. we reused it for some other usage.
how can i deleted those 2 servers entries from forest domain.
i can't find any doc
everyhelp appreciated

Surprise, Exchange 2000 REQUIRES an Active Directory Domain, DNS server, etc. You will need to promote the server using DCPROMO command, add the DNS service (and WINS support if your users are not WIn2000 or newer), and promote your server to a Domain Controller. Then you can add Exchange 2000. Read up on the Exchange server first, and understand what you are doing, as you can not back out the changes it will make to the active directory. You might just want to use an older version of Exchange, but they still want a access to the Domain controller to verify the users access.

You are also going to find out that the Exchange server requires a license for each user mailbox (not just the actual users you have!), so have fun.

If I were you I would setup in this order:

1) DNS - Can be confusing at first but I found this page helpful before I started:
2) AD - Once you are past DNS this should be simple

3) Exchange

Be sure to monitor your logs as you are configuring DNS, be patient and be prepared to do some searching in Tech Net.

Good Luck

dholbrook - In response to your last suggestion, I have tried to install Exchange Server 5.5 and it came up with the issue that I need to be part of an NT domain. "I used to think that the more that you knew, the farther you would go, then I realized that the more that you know, the more they use you."

-Me

I just want to thank you alllllll for your time and effort. I will be back to work on Friday, and I will start looling into all of these ideas. Any more ideas are more than welcome. I hope that I may one day be able to share the knowledge, that you have all given to me, to somebody that is in my position now.

Thanks,

Parallon "I used to think that the more that you knew, the farther you would go, then I realized that the more that you know, the more they use you."

-Me

Exchange 5 and 5.5 use the PDC user list for verification, while Exchange 2k requires an AD configuration to authenticate the users. Exchange 2k also makes a lot of changes to the shema of the AD when you install it, and these can not be backed out.

So basically, to use any Exchange version, you need to have a domain available because the Exchange users are tied directly to the Domain user accounts.

It sounds like you have a small workgroup, and as such I would recommend you outsource your Exchange requirement and get an external Internet hosting service to manage your mail service, and you will not have to worry about any of it, except setting up the mail accounts on the desktops and talking with the Host to turn on and off mail accounts. Gets rid of a lot of headache, especially if you have no Exchange training. :)

HTH

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back