Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory policy, mapped drives etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

INBred

IS-IT--Management
Nov 5, 2002
GB
Hi Every one,

I have an AD server and would like to create a script with a policy so that when and end user logs on to the domain network drives are mapped to what i specify, also if it is possible in a *.bat file to add network printers ?

I know about the "net use z: \\servername\share" command and would really like to do the printer install aswell, i noticed a post about a vbs script but do not want to use these types of scripts.

Any nice script peeps here that can help ?

T.i.A

Matthew

Also forgot to say is there a command that takes the username of the user running the script and uses it to map to thier hom directory ?

I.E.
matthew logging in...
so...

"net use h: \\sever\matthew"

is it $username$ in the command ?

and if this has been stated in another post please could you direct me?

Home directories can be set without even using logon scripts:

To specify a network home directory, complete the following steps:

Access the user's Properties dialog box in Active Directory Users And Computers and then choose the Profile tab.

Click the Connect option button and then select a drive letter for the home directory. For consistency, you should use the same drive letter for all users. Also, be sure to select a drive letter that won't conflict with any currently configured physical or mapped drives. To avoid problems, you might want to use Z as the drive letter.

Type the complete path to the home directory using the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) notation, such as \\GAMMA\User_Dirs\%UserName%. You include the server name in the drive path to ensure that the user can access the directory from any computer on the network.

Open AD Users and Computer, open a user

Basic article on using BAT files to create drive mappings..

You might also want to check out Kixtart.org for logon scripting. This is free and semi-supported by MS. Was written by MS... But this is a very easy scripting language that is designed just for Windows logon scripts. Works well and very easy to lear. examples of logon script
Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back