Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory Policies not running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldain

MIS
Mar 16, 2002
US
Hello,

I have recently posted a problem with logon scripts not running when clients login to the server. Well, after further trouble, it seems that nothing will run. Even choosing a program to run when a user logs into the domain will not run anything either. The user logs in, however that is it, nothing is mapped or anything.

Upon reviewing these boards, I see that DNS is a big factor with AD. I believe when I installed AD I chose the "Setup DNS later" option. It seems that you can do everything with AD without DNS, but when it comes around to it, nothing will run.

If I look in the Add/Remove Programs, nothing at all is checked for some reason. Does anyone know what needs to be installed in order for AD scripts and policies to function when a client logs in? Also, do I need to installed the ADC program on all of my win 98 machines? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Please excuse my confusion.
You say that "when a user logs into the domain will not run anything either. The user logs in, however that is it, nothing is mapped or anything." You also state that "I believe when I installed AD I chose the "Setup DNS later" option."
I do not understand how your users are logging in at all. The Domain Name System (DNS) is an integral part of client/server communications in IP (Internet Protocol) networks. It is used to translate, or resolve, computer names into IP addresses. I'm not sure how a client can find a controller running ADS without DNS.
Perhaps if you provided a little more information?

Thanks for the reply.

I installed Win 2000 Server fresh on a computer. As I went through the setup of the OS, I unchecked everything within the Add/Remove Programs area during the setup. I am sure this probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but the server was setup with no worries.

Once the install was complete, I went on ahead and ran the Active Directory setup installation wizard and went through the prompts to state that it was a domain by itself, in its own forest and such. When it came down to installing DNS, it said to "Let windows configure automatically (recommended)" I chose the "Install DNS manually at a later time" option instead.

Restarted the server and began to setup users within Active Directory. The office I am setting this up on is already running a peer to peer network with other windows 98 clients. I setup one computer as a test by changing the workgroup and domain of the client workstation to the new server name. I logged in with one of the accounts that I created within Active Directory with no problems. I assumed that the user was logged in because if I placed in a wrong password or so, it would state that the password was wrong for the user name and password for that domain.

I hope this information has helped. I have placed a BAT file in the netlogon directory as well as in the scripts directory for the domain. I have also installed the Active Directory extension client that game with win 2000 server CD onto the machine thinking this was the problem, still no luck.

With all of this, nothing is still checked in the Add/Remove Programs area of the OS. Also, the server is setup on a dynamic IP address. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A few things. First off, 98 clients will not process Group Policies, client extensions or not. Client extensions give downlevel clients the ability to choose a local domain controller for logon, change passwords, access DFS shares, authenticate with the latest NTLM version, etc...but not actually process GP's. As for logon scripts, if you want, you can set the script up as part of the users profile properties in AD Users and Computers. I can see how you're able to "log in" , since you're only using 98 clients, but be advised that AD will never function until you set up DNS properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back