Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory not working properly 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwei

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
US
One of my servers doesnt seem to be applying group policies. On top of that, i am unable to access "domain controler security policy" and "domain security policy". When I try to open both of them, I get a Group Policy Error, stating "failed to open the Group Policy Object. You may not have appropriate rights." And a message under details stating "The specific domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."

Ive been dealing with this for weeks on end, GP has worked in the past, as have these snap ins. running "dcdiag.exe" does not come up with anything except once it gave an error with syslog.

This is a standalone DC on the network. everything else seems to be working properly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on this one, as always,

Justin

jvierra,

I have all of those under "domainname.local" EXCEPT _domain. There is however a domain folder under _msdcs.

Each folder contains at least 1 or 2 SRV records. Thanks,

Justin

DNS must have been functioning for the NIC but the records may not be correct.

I need to track down a good way to rebuild these records.

I think that by removing the settings on DNS that I gave you before and waiting for AD to refresh that the records will age out and get replaced when you reset the NIC to enable updates.

I am not sure if this will work. You could try it. I am not sure how long AD will take to clear the settings. There is a command line tool to force the refresh - don't remember which one it is right now.

Gotta go do some work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back