Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory - Like - solution for Linux Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMCT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
This may have been asked before but I am searching for a Linux solution to provide active directory like user control and policies from a Linux host. I know there are many ways to authenticate against a live AD host, but not aware of what a Linux host can do itself. I know that Samba 3+ is supposed to act as a primary domain controller but I don't even know if that's the same.

If anyone has any experience with implementing anything even close to this I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks all.

I know that Samba along with NIS resemble AD in windows but never tried it before!

Khalid

Samba with OpenLDAP. It's pretty in depth to set up. You need a lot planning and testing to make it work effectively when deployed.

It's not hard to implement but you need to understand how the Windows environment works and what you need to do on the Linux side to provide a similar framework.

Personally, the hardest part for me was finding an effective tool to manage LDAP Directory Services. I like Softerra's products but if you're trying to keep a lean budget try phpldapadmin.

You can configure samba as Member of AD.Maybe you can try likewise product...:)

Thanks for the suggestions. I was struggling with the installation of LDAP on OpenSuse 11.3 yesterday and although installed I couldn't get past the initial dialog without syntax errors. However, I'll keep trying as well as review the two products mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back