Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory: install a program automatically 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

omegabetax

Technical User
Jun 20, 2006
RO
Hi,

In Active Directory I need to run an application in GLOBAL mode. That means when any user is log on in AD the program must install automatically on that machine.

Thanks

I made a logon script (logon.bat) and then added to a GPO of an OU. The batch file looks like this:
\\Server_name\shared_folder\vnc.exe

When I try to execute the above command from any system it works. But after restarting -any system- the application doesn't run and no message is displayed.

Maybe someoane give me an advice.

Thanks

Hi markdmac !

Can you tell me what entry must I modify in Registry to run the program at startup ?

Thanks

You won't modify an entry. You will add one.

Open regedit, look at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run

Create a new string value, call it whatever you want and set the path to your UNC path for you application. It is my understanding that VNC requires some of its own registry keys for passwords and configuration etc. If manually running it lets it behave the way you want then what I have suggested will be all that you need to do. however if it does nto work as expected when manually running then you will need to actually go through the install and set the passwords etc.

All of the above is very easy to do via vbscript if you are familiar with scripting.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Well I've made some scripts using VBscript to monitor the free space on a server, but I don't know what object must I use and how to add the new value using VBscript. Maybe you can show me some lines of code.

Thanks

You will use the Wscript.Shell object to do a RegWrite.

Many examples can be found in the vbscript forum.

I'm here to help but not do the work for you. :)

Regards,

Mark

That's right ! I've made the script and it works from my PC, but from AD as script attached to GPO of the OU doesn't work.

Can you give me an advice ?

Thanks

Hi Mark,

Your scripts are great ! Unfortunately, the GPO doesn't work. I didn't remove all templates because I don't know yet what are doing (made by previous admin). This could be the cause ?
Anyway is there another way to modify the registry of a remote machine using a VBscript ?

Thanks

yes, you can simply add your script as a login script or startup script to a new GPO.

If you are not well versed in vbscript you might want to use this free add-on for AD that allows you to modify registries via GPO.

If you are not familiar with DesktopStandard, Microsoft just purchased them, they are a well trusted company.

Regards,

Mark

I mean : can I modify the registry of a remote machine using a simply VBscript or WMI procedure without GPO or another proprietary program ?

The GPO is simply the mechanism to get the file to the client.

You could use PSEXEC to get it there too.

Using WMI you can do remote operations, however if you have to ask that you will probably find it difficult to implement.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back