Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory Connector 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigi

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2002
US
I am planning an upgrade from EXchange 5.5 to 2003. I have been reading all kinds of documentation, but haven't been able to find anything on whether or not the ADC can be installed on the same machine as Exchange 2003. Is this OK? Is it not recommended? Can anyone advise?

Your best bet is to put the ADC on a domain controller. Make sure you install the Exchange 2003 version of the ADC and make use of the Exchange 2003 deployment tools (much better than the tools provided by Exchange 2000).

The domain controller should be dedicated for this purpose (ADC).

Thanks DACOnline. Is there a whitepaper on this somewhere that I missed? I have been researching this quite a bit and nothing I have seen recommends the location of the ADC. I really need some form of documentation to get my current installation plan approved.

Al depends on what you have available, if you only have 1 server, then you don't have much choice.
There is no big problem to put everything on 1 server, unless you are serving hundreds of users plus server applications.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

I'm in the middle of an Exchange 5.5-2003 migration, with one of each server in each of two sites. I'm running ADC on the Exchange 2003 servers themselves, and have had no problems related to it (directory syncs between AD and the 5.5 directory seem to be working fine). The GC servers used by both instances of ADC are on separate servers.

You probably know this, but once you're rid of your 5.5 servers and have switched Exchange to Native mode, you'll be shutting down the ADC for good. Just make sure you don't install Exchange 2003 on a domain controller, unless you want that server to be a DC forever (or if you want to take your chances demoting it, which I wouldn't recommend).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back