Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory and Printers - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

moapple

MIS
Mar 29, 2001
US
Can anyone tell me how I can give a user or group of users access to manage all documents in the local printer que on a given workstation without having to add the user or group of users to the Administrator or Power users groups?

If the printer is installed locally on the machine, I believe you would go to the securities tab under the printer properities. There can can add users and specify whether they have access to printer, manage drivers, or manage documents.

If you use a windows 2000 server as a printer server, you would go to the security tab under the printer properties on the server itself. Right would then filter down to the local workstations.

Hope this post helps.

Justin

Thanks - I failed to state that I have several rooms of pcs (40+ in one room) that will need this set. Each room has its pc accounts in different Active Directory OU if that helps any. maybe I need a way via Active Directory or even a script so that I do not have to make the change on each pc.

Thanks agin for the response though.

If you have that many computers to manage, then you should really look into connecting those printers to the network via and installing them onto one central server as I suggested. That way, instead of having to go to each machine, you can use active directory to share them out and dictate print and management access by going to the printer properties under the server and setting security. That's what I do and I would have it no other way. No reason creating a headache when windows server was meant to centralize and simplify.

Justin

Additionlly, just in case your thinking, "but then i have to go to each machine and install a new printer driver." Alas, I have a script for that too.

my motto, "if i have to leave my desk for anything other than a harddware failure, i'm doing something wrong"

Justin

I agree that a print server work work better, but I work for the goverment and in education so.... Each printer is installed via a VBS script that sets the pc up to print to an IP port. They wanted each pc to be its on print que and now they want select users to be able to logon to each station as their accounts in order to clear the jobs that another user sent. :(

That's okay, if your running AD you should collect each PC that has a local printer connection and create a mock printer pool. Provided these printers are all the same model. From there you can customize the settings for the pool as to who can print where, and delegate other control permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back