Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Directory and password issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

semiles

Technical User
Apr 13, 2002
US
We have recently ran across an issue in Active Directory. For the last two weeks we have not been able to add new users to the "users" account or any other group. When we attempt to add a password and finish an error comes up saying that the password does not meet the password requirements, check the minimum password length, password history, or the password complexity. I am pretty new with using Active Directory but I went to the password policy and examined the policies that were set and it looks to me that the password I use meet the criteria. Can anyone please help??
Thanks

Look at the lenght and check complexity. If it is using a password length of say 8 and complexity rule, the password would have to be at least 8 characters in lenght and to meet complexity rules it would need at least one capitalized letter and a number or character other than an alphabetic letter. An example could be Password1^

This is true you need something more then just say a "dictionary" word or name. The policies for passwords may be set so you must use at least one number and one special character.
Hope this helps,
George

Hey thanks, the issue was in the complexity I figured it out shortly after I posted this. Now I have another issue though. On one of my Windows SBS servers I lost some of my options in my start menu. For example, I do not have access to event viewer in my Administrator Tools, among other things, unless I use the "run" command. There are several more options that I am missing for some reason. How can I get these options back. For an extra note this happened somehow by itself noone did anything, as far as I know, to cause this.
Hope you can help
Thanks

Hi, A week ago an angry employee changed our administrator password on our windows 2000 server. In the meantime we managed to get over this issue thanks to NTAccess. However, just out of interest we are now trying to see when this password change was exactly done in one or the other log file. Any idea where and if we should normally be able to see this?

nansdb, you should be able to see this in event viewer the problem is did you have auditing enabled. If not then it may not have shown.

semiles, you might have an error with windows. I would pop in the disk and run a repair. This will repair any error you have and restore your admin shorcuts, and will have no effect to your system as in terms of loosing data or profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back