Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Desktop Page - Process In Desktop Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDREWeire

Programmer
Feb 17, 2005
GB
Hello.

I have a small web application which I wish to place on a users desktop. My problem is that when I click on any of the buttons/controls on the asp page it then opens a new browser window to process the code.

For example... the user is prompted to enter a surname and click a button to search for matches in the database. Instead of refreshing the window in the desktop it opens a new window with the result.... etc, etc, etc

Just wondered if it was possible to have everything done within the same window.

Not sure if this question will be clear enough,

Is it a web app or a desktop app?
If it is an ASP application it resides on and runs from the web server and cannot be placed on a desktop directly.

Give us more detail about how the app works.
Is it possibly an HTA application? A compiled executable of some sort?

ASP is a script language that has to have a server interpret the code and act upon it. You cannot run it on a desktop directly unless that desktop is also a web server supporting ASP. If you have some odd hybrid app that uses a desktop component to access server-side data we would need a lot more details about the nature of the app and what it does.

At my age I still learn something new every day, but I forget two others.

Thanks for your help..... Found an answer in another post.

User an IFrame!

Whic post was that? Just in case someone finds your post and doesn't find the one that solved your problem and thus causes multiple posts of not knwoing how to get it done and more life cycle to getting an answer ;-)

____________ signature below ______________
General FAQ faq333-2924
5 steps to asking a question faq333-3811

onpnt's right.
I don't know what solution ANDREWeire got, but I had the same problem, and I've solved it by simply stating in href line "TARGET=_self".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back