Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active desktop, not Active - needs updating? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trybry

Technical User
Jan 10, 2004
US
Hi,

I need to find out how to re-install my active desktop.
The current version does not allow automatic movement of the desktop icons.

In the past you could move one and the others would automatically shift to fill the void. Now that does not happen.

How can I get my active desktop back to normal.

Thanks

That's called Auto-Arrange

Right click any blank desktop area, and point to Arrange Icons......choose Auto Arrange

done

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Thanks,

I really should experiment more?

Sorry about that chief!

Thanks again

your welcome
FYI - AutoArrange has nothing to do with Active Desktop, AD is for enabling Web Content on the Desktop (The IE Channel Bar / pictures - ala Jpegs/Gifs / Web Sites and all their crud from AdServers /Active X controls such as WeatherBug or moving satellite images with configurable frequent auto updates - etc. etc)

AD can be dangerous and annoys the crud outta me, so I turn it off, yet make it available IF i ever want to use it.

TweakUI from here;
will allow easy configurability for many things such as this
(don't use the 98CDROM version - it's Buggy - use this linked version)

don't let this scare or stop you, but
There are many many settings in there if you decide to use it, so be careful of any changes made while experimenting as a lot of them do NOT revert to Defaults from an Uninstall
YET many things that go awry can be fixed from within as well
-- make use of the ? for more info on each setting -- or just right click on each and choose "what's this"

If you think you may have accidentally ticked a setting, just Cancel out and go back in as whatever you did, won't be saved.

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back