Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

active controls vs lifetime controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

docin

Technical User
Aug 7, 2003
US
Hi,
I'm a little confused on the limit for the number of controls on a form in access 2000. I understand that the lifetime limit is 754 and someone posted here about an active limit of 255 controls on one form. Does a label or line count as an active control? What I am wanting to do is display a 25 x 25 (625 labels) grid and have the labels change color based on some data. This would graphically display location info. I don't want to go to the trouble of placing 625 labels (a lot of grunt work)if access won't let me use them. I can stay under the 754 lifetime control limit...but I'm wondering about the 255 active control thing. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Is a 25 x 25 grid possible on an access form? Thanks

You may try 25 subforms with 25 labels each.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Thanks PHV,
But I was wanting to avoid subforms if I could. I forgot to mention that I was going to change properties for my "grid" on form load, so I don't know if that counts as a control being "active". That's what I'm trying to figure out...the difference between active controls and lifetime controls. If I can have 625 labels on one form at one time...and control their visible properties before the form loads...then I can do this. If I am limited to 255 controls...then I have to do something else. Again thanks for the reply

Active controls are ALL the controls you have at hand in your form when in design view (a subform and all their controls count for one, I think).
Lifetime controls are all the above + all controls you've deleted during design maintenance.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back