Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active\Active Cluster set up Win2K3/Sql2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpstateNYAdmin

Technical User
Oct 21, 2005
US
I am in the process of setting up my first active/active cluster. I ran the Cluster setup on one server an then added the node from the second. Am I missing something as far as actually getting the active/active part to work? I can see all the resources as groups on Node A on (drives E, G, S $ Q(qourum)) but I dont see any of the of the Node B resources (drives F,H,T). How exactly do I make the second part Active? I have the 'High Availability' Book but all that does is mention that active\active is possible, everything in there is for active\passive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Patrick

You have to move the drives that you want active on the second node into a second cluster group, give it a name and an IP then you can move the new resource group to the second node and you've now got an Active\Active cluster.

If you are going to be putting SQL on both nodes make sure that you have correctly licensed both nodes, and that either node can handle running both virtual machines at the same time.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Patrick

I've done this a few times,
build the cluster in the normal fashion and configure MSTDC, I normal leave this in the default cluster group rather than create a new group, saves one IP address.

Install SQL via and create a virtual server, (remember to put the media somewhere that can be accessed by both nodes)

Put all the SQL cluster resources into 1 group VSSQL01 and then I clean up SQL by following to ensure the DB files are one drive and the logs are on another, you will need to ensure these drives are dependancies on the SQL cluster services, only assign the drives you need for this instance and not the others

once completed you should have all the resources in one group for the first Virtaul server, assign the prefered server and your done.

Repeat process for VSSQL02 and you should be left with an 3 groups, 1 containing the windows cluster resources, and 1 per sql instance

hope this points you in the right direction

Andy

Thanks!Denny and Andy I will give it a shot.

So basically you have to set up 2 Clusters even though they are for the same 2 servers? Is that done using the wizard on the other machine or do I just add the resources through the cluster admin tool?

Thanks,
Patrick

No, you only setup one cluster. Within the cluster you have to add additional cluster groups (one for each SQL Server). Each cluster group gets it's own name and IP Address.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

[noevil]

Thanks for all your help, I got it all up and running and sql installed on both.

Awsome

Denny

[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back