Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Activation number invalid on second time installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

salimwng

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2002
MU
Hello,

I upgraded my PC to a bigger SCSI Hard Disk ( from 60 to 120 Giga ). I purchased an original XP CD ( Windows XP Professional 1 -2 CPU OEM Product ), but after the second installation on the 120 Gig Hard Disk, i wanted to Activate it and i am constantly having " This license has been used several times, contact Microsoft....bla bla bla "

I can't get understand the logic at all ! Does this mean that when one installs XP, it's for lifetime ? It can't be re-installed again ?

Can anybody please help me how to activate that stuff without having to go though all these charades ?

Thank you a lot guys.
Regards.
Salim

You'll have to contact MS at the phone number included in the message.

Yes you will need to phone or Email Microsoft to re-activate the OS. When you initially activate the program, Microsoft takes a map of your PC. If you alter any hardware, Microsoft assumes that you are trying to load XP on to a different machine and asks you to Re-activate it. Needless to say, the old activation is cancelled. All this to try to stop people copying Operating Systems to other machines and stifling sales. Contact Microsoft and Re-activate, it's your only chance I think!........Dave

"alter any hardware" is a bit of an exaggeration. For an easy to understand explanation of Windows Product Activation, and the hardware changes that will cause a need for re-activation, see this

I believe there are 8 times for the life of the PK then you call M$ to release it again.

Just like Terminal Server Licenses.

Use the telephone option to re register XP, they will give you a new activation code to use, this works, Ive recently done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back