Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Activating Scripts AND Changing Agent Priorities

Status
Not open for further replies.

StaceyLaney

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2007
US
I'm asking about both of the items, because I don't actually need help to do them, and have been working with Symposium for a couple of years, but I'm getting challenged recently by a new co-worker of mine.

Activating Scripts:
In the past (past employer) I've had to make changes to scripts and activate them in the middle of the work day (immediate changes that were needed). I've had to do this a few times, without any issues. However, at my current company, my co-worker (also telecom, with Symposium experience) is adamant that any script changes be done after hours, stating that the queues MUST be closed to make any script changes. This goes against what I've done in the past, and now I'm questioning myself and wondering if I was doing things wrong. Any input?

Changing Agent Priorities:
The other issue is changing agent priorities. I've always gone to the agent's profile, and changed the priority of each skillset in the Skillset tab, but this co-worker of mine is now saying that agent priorities MUST be changed in the Agent to Skillset Assignments section. Again, now, I'm second-guessing myself.

I've never had any problems doing things the way that I have in the past, and again, been working with Symposium for a few years now, but I don't want to challenge anyone unless I know FOR SURE. Is this co-worker blowin smoke up my you-know-what, or have I been doing things the incorrect way all along????

Thanks...

As far as I know, there are no issues with changing scripts and activating on the fly. Only new calls are affected. I believe calls already in queue use the old scripting.

Don't know what you mean by Agent to Skillset Assignments section. Never heard of that. Do you mean when you view agents by supervisor or skillset or choose supervisor view? Any way you do it, if there is the option to change the priority of an agent, it works.

Sounds like the vendor tech who came out to my site and proceeded to tell me that version 7 of symposium was out. Found out later that he was fired.

Matt
CS1000E VoIP
CCM 6
CallParrot
CallPilot

Hi

We make changes to the scripts during business hours and we have had no trouble.

Trevor

This is what the Scripting Guide has to say:

[ul square]
[li] Nortel Networks recommends that you do not activate scripts during busy call center periods. [/li]
[li] Activation of scripts can cause the call center to go into default mode. This is because script activation has a high impact on the server and can cause Task Flow Execution to become too slow. Running reports can also cause the same problem. Task Flow Execution has enough time to process calls simultaneously with Script Activation based on the following conditions:[/li]
[ul circle]
[li]the amount of real time available to Task Flow Execution when all other activity in the call center is taken into consideration [/li]
[li] the length and complexity of the script[/li]
[li] whether it is the Master script, as it then looks at all the scripts attached to it and their complexity[/li]
[/ul]
[li] Scripts that use a lot of resources, such as If-Then-Else statements, nested commands, skillsets, and so on, can take a long time to validate. This problem can also be caused by only validating a script, because this validation also runs on the server. While delays are less likely to occur during validation than activation, it is still important to avoid validation during busy hours.[/li]
[li] To avoid having to reactivate the Master_Script when writing test scripts, keep a test CDN and a Test Primary Script activated at all times. Then, only edit and change the Test Primary Script, not the Master_Script. You can
also use other secondary test scripts. However, it is still advisable to make changes outside busy hours.[/li]
[/ul]

Still, we activate and validate scripts (even the master) during the day all the time and have never had a problem but our Symposium server isn't exactly stressed out anyway.
I guess it depends on how busy your call center is.

As for agent priority, I've always changed them just like you. We rarely use agent assignments.

Activating scripts only affects new calls that enter the newly activated script. Existing calls (before the script is activated) are handled according to the script before it was activated.

Individual agent priorities can be changed on the fly by altering the agent properties or using skillset assignments. Skillset assignments are generally used for large changes to many agents at once. They are a pain to set up and administer (assignments are not dynamic - if an agent is added/deleted you must update the assignment or they will be left out.). Assignments are also dangerous as they can make such large changes.

Sounds like you have a personal issue with your co-worker. Hopefully, you can overcome their resistance to change.

I have only had one call center that was so busy that activating scripts during the day actually caused the server to go into default mode. And in the case, the server was only barely squeaking by with minimum horsepower. If that is the case at your current call center, then I could see the additional care and concern. Otherwise, I'd say your coworker is overly cautious.

As to changing agent priorities -- the agent skillset assignment is intended for doing a number of changes at one time, or for scheduled changes. Perhaps this is how they are trying to ensure that all the priority assignments adhere to a set plan. If so, okay fine. If not, again, there is no reason you cannot change a priority ad hoc the way you are doing.

This call center may just have some rigid procedures in place that they prefer to use. Or you may have an off-track coworker or some conflict between you. No, you're not crazy. Check into their reasons a little deeper to see if they have some actual rationale.

I challenged Nortel over the statement made in the scripting guide about the system going into default. They say this was true in the earlier days when computer processing was not as powerful as it is today.

I've activated some major master scripts in very busy call centres, some scripts in excess of 30k with no problems.

You may change agent priorities where ever suits you best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back