Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Activate Excel add-in programmatically 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisCalvert

Technical User
Mar 18, 2002
US
Hello:

I am deploying an Excel add-in and though it installs properly, it does not 'activate'. That is, the user would
still have to go Tools>Add-Ins and check the new add-in.

Is there a way to do this for them via command line or a simple script/reg file?

That's about as simple as it gets my friend. Unless you want to use some kind of Install Creator or VB/C, etc to do this for them; but IMHO, that would be complicating it way too much. If they do Tools | Addins, it's only once. I hardly see the harm in that.

Regards,
Zack Barresse

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. What is a MS MVP? PODA
- Leonardo da Vinci

Believe me Zack, *I* know it's only once. But I don't get to decide :(

So if anyone can push me in the right direction of how to do this so my users don't have to, it would be a big help.

I would recommend a program such as Install Creator or use VBScript. You can check for an instance of Excel (ensure all are closed), create an instance, open the addin, then set the addin Installed property to true, then close the instance. Should be fairly painless.

Regards,
Zack Barresse

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. What is a MS MVP? PODA
- Leonardo da Vinci

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back