Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Activate, can't 'cause computer has a driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brimestone

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2002
CA
Computer motherboard died, had to replace. Because the hardware is different, windowsxp couldn't start, so I had to do a repair, there is still a driver problem I need to fix, Windows hangs when trying to login, keyboard stops responding. Tried a safemode with network but get a message "windows needs to activate, can not activate in safemode. restart in normal mode to activate." Those Eggheads at Microboobs think their so smart, I can't activate windows until I fix the problem, to fix the problem I need to boot into safemode, can't activate in safemode and can't activate in normal mode because the computer hangs on login. So now what?? I would rather not do a clean install of windows, and what ever happened to 3 days to activate??

Thanks

Computers are like a bag of hammers, they won't do a damn thing until you pick it up and SMASH something with it!!

What is the driver problem, is it a missing driver or is it an incorrect driver that has been installed? Using the Recovery Console might be able to fix the latter if that were the case.

You would need to look at the Enable and Disable commands.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Are you able to login to Windows in "pure" Safe Mode?

To miss out on any "grace period" you must have really have upset the Activation procedure in XP. Perhaps there is a problem with the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files in C:\Windows\System32?

You may have to make your install mad enough to force the complete re-activation, and perhaps get a new 30 day grace period? However if you can't logon then this is all a waste of time, therefor a clean install may be necessary.

Hey thanks for your reply,
I was able to boot to safemode and command prompt, and found I can't use the keybouard there either, I'm starting to think the problem is hardware, however, the keyboard or boards I've used three now, all work out side windows and worked entering the key code during the repair.

Computers are like a bag of hammers, they won't do a damn thing until you pick it up and SMASH something with it!!

Is there any setting in the Bios to get things like USB functioning that needs attention? Just looking at the Bios may be worthwhile anyway, perhaps running it at Safe Defaults or a Bios update are options.

In Safe Mode, can you browse to C:\Windows\System32\OSK.exe via the Mouse and launch the On Screen Keyboard and make use of that?

All the keyboards are ps/2, this may be a hardware problem when in windows, I'll try a USB keyboard next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back