Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Action Taken: Clean Failed; Quarantine Succeeded; Access Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

aishteru10

Technical User
Nov 24, 2002
PH
Hi!

The NAVCE has detected a virus. it is successful in quarantining the virus infected file, but another action taken is "access denied".....why is this so?

thanks

Hi! I don't know why you can't access the quarantined file, but I'd recommend to not use isolation anyway, but clean or otherwise delete.

As I had to experience myself the virus scanner will notify of virii in its own directory until you clean it out. Or maybe you have 8.0 and it behaves differently in that respect, which would be good. What kind of action are you trying to take?

I had the same problem on our Webmarshal box SAV 8.0. A requested page had a virus. The reason you can't delete or anything is because a service(mine was Webmarshal) needs to be stopped as it is locking the files. Then delete them and restart the service.

Good Luck

Bealy

Sometimes after the quarantine has taken place or the file was backed up while cleaning was attempted by the scanning engine, the file remains in the backup view or in quarantine and on next scan it redetects it there. Then when you delete the quarantined file, the other detections still show, but cannot be accessed. At least this has been my experience. You should be able to confirm that the same virus type ,or similar in same class but new pattern, that cannot be accessed is one detected on a date later than the original detection. Best to go to the machine delete quarantined and backup view files, and run complete full scan with current pattern file and repeat if redetects (assuming it's not a virus that disables the engine, then you've got other problems too lengthy to discuss here).

Jagsta
[yinyang]

You received a virus alert and you could not repair or delete. This happens when you are on a web site infected with a virus. You can not repair viruses on some elses computer. If you detect virus while doing norton scan that can not be repaired , the infected file agian is usually not on your computer, you have a link to the virus in your temporary internet files. When you delete the infected file you are deleting that temporary internet file.If you have any doubts about a virus being on your computer you can always do a scan from symantecs site. Any time you can not complete a scan(your computer crashes) from this site you will have a very destructive worm or trojan on your computer.
Use virus scan tool.Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back