Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

action script cheat sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdubz

Technical User
Apr 28, 2002
hello all,
i'm looking for an action script cheat sheet. basically the problem is i've got a new laptop and installed new mx2004pro. so my biggest freak is that for doing simple things like directing a button to a url, and in the library just clicking on "get url" and have that nice window where all you had to do was type in the url, self and such, now i have to type in the code.

and i've never really took the actionscripting code to memory...

so, is there a cheat sheet for the basics? with the really basic code like:

on (release) {
getURL("}

thanks in advance

The same functionality can be found in the behaviors panel. You can pull up this panel by selecting "SHIFT+F3". Most of the actions found in here are pretty basic, but may be exactly what your looking for. If you want to use more complex actions, another easy way would be to select the "+" plus sign in the top left hand corner of your actions panel. If you select this, it will drop down a list of all of the actions availible to you. If you select one of them, it will automatically write the action for you, and pop up a tooltip that will guide you through setting the parameters for that action. It is a little different then the normal mode on previous versions of Flash, but will basically do the same exact thing. You are just typing it into the code block instead of a text field.

Hope that helps!

hey dj,
first thank you, i hadn't realized the behaviors panel had that, but what about for the simplicity of putting in the "on release"

in older Flash you could go into the actions and double click on "get url" and it put in the "on release"

i know i sound lazy, but it's just that i'm dealing with a lot of other issues, and if this can be something i can find quickly until i have time to dive into actionscripting more.
again thanks...

Well, I would say the second option will fit you best then. By using the "+" menu, you can easily navigate to the "on" command found in GLOBAL FUNCTIONS >> MOVIE CLIP CONTROL, or you can use the keyborad shortcut "ESC+ON". Once you have done this, you will get the drop down in your actions panel where you can selct the type of listener for your on event (Press, Release, RollOver etc.). After doing that, go back to your "+" menu and select GLOBAL FUNCTIONS >> BROWSER/NETWORK, where you can find your getURL command. Or, you could also just type "ESC+GU".

Anyways, in the "+" menu, there are keyboard shortcuts listed next to most of the actions. Well, at least most of the commonly used ones anyway. I would suggest taking a minute to go through the list and find all the ones you use often and write down there keyboard shortcut. Now, as to your original question, I dont know of any cheat sheets, but maybe somebody has already gone through and wrote down all of the keyboard shortcuts and has posted then somewhere. May be worth a search before you go writting all of them down yourself.

Take care!

'Shortcuts' is an interesting term - the one for 'if' is 'Esc'+'i'+'f' - actually longer than the original [ponder]

As DJ said the shortcuts are still there but MX Pro does not write the code for you (add on(release) when you double click to add getURL to a button). You can start typing the action though and a contextual menu of choices for that item will appear.

For example:

Add a button to your stage. Go to the actions panel for that button and type: on(

You will be presented with a list of options for that instance... press, release, release outside, etc...

Use your arrow keys to select the one you are looking for and press tab to insert it into your code.

As DJ also said it will give you a tooltip with the correct formatting of the action.

Hope it helps.

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

thank you all for your tips... i have found the "new' areas the old cheats used to be... i concur, by taking the time to write down the cheats that i most frequently use, will pretty much then commit them to memory. i just have to finish this one project before i get the time to do so, but THANK YOU ALL for the help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back