Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACT Error: "An attempt was made to access an unnamed file past its end

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2D2C3PO

Technical User
Mar 3, 2007
US
Hello Everyone,

I am using ACT 6.0 in a multi-user environment. We have been using this version for years without problem. Yesterday morning, the database started giving the error:
"An attempt was made to access an unnamed file past its end."
This error happens only when we click on or type into one particular field. After the above error message, if I click on any field, I will get the error message:
"An unknown error has caused ACT to shut down. You will lose any unsavedd data."

Has anyone seen this? Any suggestion to solve it will be much appreciated. (I did database reindexing and truncating the problem field, but it did not fix the problem.)

I tried to restore a recent backup but that failed (no explanation).
Removing the problem field may be the last option. (It is a useful field - City in address).
By the way, the database has 34,000 records and is about 34 MB in size (1 MB per record). Is that too big or too many?

We have a different database and that works fine with the same ACT installation. That means the ACT software is not corrupted and perhaps the 1st database is corrupted, correct?

Many Thanks.
Johny John
Princeton, New Jersey, USA
1-609-919-9824

That worked!
Thank you Mike. You are truly an ACT! Evangelist!

Johny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back