Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACSLS-NBU not dismounting tapes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2003
US
12 NBU 5.1mp6 master and media servers on AIX and an SL8500. We are seeing problems where NBU and ACSLS are not communicating properly and leaving tapes in the drives. What shows as mounted in ACLS does not always match what NBU shows, but sometimes they agree. Most commonly happens while backups are running and the media servers' full backups start on SUnday afternoon. Jobs start queing since NBU thinks it has no available drives, even when some are. We've been run through the ringer between IBM, StorageTek and Symantec. Could this be a memory issue with the master server?

While I am not a Netbackup user I have seen similar problems with another backup software and ACSLS. When the ACSLS server/library got out of sync with the backup server the only way to resolve the issue was to reset the library (rescan of the library).

Take a look at the logs on the ACSLS server. See if you are getting any kind of IO errors. Also check Netbackups logs for any delays in the time it takes for mounts/unmounts to occur. I have seen cases where commands are being sent to the ACSLS server but the ACSLS server never responds.

That is exactly what is happening. ACSLS never responds and we can't figure out why. Symantec "proved" it to be a hardware issue but the full diags turned up nothing. I believe the hardware is faulting because the ACSLS software is causing the problem but I don't where to look to determne what is happening. SUN keeps saying there is a problem with NBU timing but we've set it everywhere from 1 minute to 30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back