Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACS Remote Call Forwarding problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cztech

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
US
Hello-
I have a customer that uses remote call forwarding succesfully about 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time it is not working - when receptionist transfers the call to forwarded extension, she is rejected (can't be more specific - yet), and she has to take the call back. Unfortunately this customer thinks that when this happens they need to reset the partner system. This of course clears up the "problem" but isn't a realistic solution.

I think that the 25% failure rate is due to the fact that they are trying to forward to this extension in too rapid of a succession - they forward a call and then forward another call a few minutes later, while the RCF feature used in the first call is still tying up the extension.

I recommended to NOT reset the Partner when this happens.

Is this assumption correct - they must wait until the "first" RCF call is completed before they can transfer another call to the forwarded extension.

Any ideas/experience please post.

Hi cziemer,
I would think you are right. Just think, every forwarded call is using two lines also. Anyone know for sure?
-Chris

If you reset the system the forwarding on the ext will be shut off. You would have to redo the forward.

It also drops all calls in progress. Cool. They fixed it with a hammer.

You can forward as many calls as the extension being forwarded has lines assigned to forward out on. (boy that's good english!). So, if the phone has 4 lines assigned, line 1 rings in and is transferred to the extension, it uses line 2 to forward out (assuming that the ALS is 1-2-3-4). Then another call comes in on line 3 (cause 1 and 2 are busy), the transferred call forwards out on line 4. So you can see that if the phone only had 3 lines assigned to it, the 2nd transfer would fail; no more lines available to go out on.

This site has but 5 lines so capacity is something of an issue. When volume is light, such as after hours when a selector code out of the AA is used to transfer to the forwarded extension, there is no problem.

User error might just be something here also. The receptionist in the past would transfer regular calls by hitting transfer, then a LINE button (yes, a line button), then the extension number. I don't recall training her to transfer calls like this!

I'll be onsite to pound out some tests next week. Will post results.

Something for the FAQ (I'll help write it...)
Needs more info on how to, though...

...TTT said...

...If the phone has 4 lines assigned, line 1 rings in and is transferred to the extension, it uses line 2 to forward out (assuming that the ALS is 1-2-3-4). Then another call comes in on line 3 (cause 1 and 2 are busy), the transferred call forwards out on line 4. So you can see that if the phone only had 3 lines assigned to it, the 2nd transfer would fail; no more lines available to go out on.

SO believe it or not, this point was NOT evident to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back