Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACS R7 with RAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

telhack

Vendor
Feb 25, 2006
US
I am having trouble connecting to the system with remote access. The process doesn't complete the connection and times out. After entering the modem dialing string "number, commas, 776" the modem answers at the remote end, shows connected at 4800bps but never completes the connection where I can enter the password. It eventually times out and shows a connection failure.
I then tried the same from an extension and the same thing happens. My laptop is a Toshiba with a software modem so after thinking that it might be a modem issue I tried it from a USR Robotics external modem. On each connection attempt the PC Admin program shows a connection at 4800bps. I set my modem properties to 9600 no EC and still same results.
Has anyone had this issue?

Below is a link to a user guide and some tips make sure you have a password in the ACS system. Us robotics modem should connect a 14.4 easy, maybe your connection or cable is dirty. I think the 776 is wrong try 76 did you assign an intercom extension see below

You must give your system a pasword

Direct Dial (Local) Connection
With the Direct Dial (Local) method, you dial an intercom extension via a modem.

To use this method, you must be at the same location as the PARTNER system.

This method has the following requirements:
• The PARTNER system must have either:
an external modem that is connected to the Admin port of the PARTNER R7.0 processor module, or— a Remote Access card

• You must program your PARTNER system to enable your PC to place anintercom call. (see below to configure the line to which your PC is connected.)
To connect to the PARTNER system via an internal extension:

1 On the File menu, select Connect to PARTNER System.
The PC Administration Connection Options dialog box appears.

2 Click the Direct Dial option button, and then click the Next button.

3 Enter the intercom number for the external modem or Remote Access card
(extension 76), and then click the OK button.

4 When prompted, enter the Remote Administration Password, and then click the OK button.
When the connection is completed, a message box appears.
5 Click the OK button.

Before you can connect to your PARTNER system via an intercom extension,
you must perform the following steps:

1 Plug the line from your PC modem into an available extension port on your PARTNER ACS system.

2 From extension 10 or 11, press Feature 00

3 Press the left intercom twice, and then press the right intercom once.

4 At the Extension: prompt, enter the extension number to which you connected the PC modem in Step 1

5 Press **

6 Press the right intercom.
The display shows Automatic Line Selection.

7 Press ** to exit Automatic Line Selection.

8 Exit programming mode by pressing Feature 00

Bob

Thank you for your insight. I did assign a password. The system is running Auto Attendant so according to the documentation I have to string 776 to get past the AA. I dialed the main number from a fax line inside the telco closet and again from my house with the same results. They have a 11 line hunt so I know I hit at least 5-6 different lines each time I dialed. Regarding the intercom extension I also activated the extension thru programming to dial the modem as you correctly documented. I tried dialing in from extension 25 to the modem.
I don't recall if in the intercom extension I dialed 76 or 776 but I would guess it was 76 since I was inhouse dialing and the modem does answer but again it never fully completes the login handshake. I am going to review the Avaya guide cited to see if it gives me any additional info but I don't hold any hope, it doesn't have a troubleshooting section on this which would be nice. This one is frustrating.

Even when using a US Robotics modem, dial-up connections to a Partner ACS are still going to be hit or miss. [sad]

It only works with partner R3 or higher you didn't state which version you have. I have never had a problem logging in with US Robotics local connection make sure you can do that first then move on to remote connection. Try putting your modem back to default settings remove it from you operating system and then reinstall it. Never know with windows.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back