Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

acs partner system 2 extensions will not let you answer calls on hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vezra

IS-IT--Management
Dec 21, 2020
US
I have 2 extensions on my system, (Ext 14 and ext 15) that are using ATT MLS-12D phones.

If a call comes in you can answer it with no issue on those extensions, but if a call comes in and you answer it on another extension and place it on hold and try to
answer the call on one of those extensions, you can not get the call to come off hold when you press the line button. (We have 4 outside lines) Also the intercom, and speaker buttons do not activate as well. I checked to see if those extensions were restricted on calling out and they are not in the set up, I also unhooked the phones and placed them on extension 10 my main phone and they worked normal allowed me to answer hold calls and the other features kicked in, when i placed them back on the extensions it stopped again.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Use the Copy feature to copy Ext. 10 (which is working) to the extensions that are not working

Feature 00
Left Intercom Twice
#399-10-14-15
Feature 00

Thank you, I tried that but I think there is an issue because my ext 10 phone is a att mls-34D and from what I read it is not compatible to copy to the mls-12D phones.

From what you read, or from what happened when you tried the procedure I suggested?

Because you can certainly program a MLS-12D from a 34D connected at Ext. 10, you just have to take into account the button layout differences, which don't come into play when using the Copy feature. Buttons are NOT copied, just the system settings, including line assignments and restrictions that may have been put in place on the 2 problem extensions.

When I do the copy to extension 14 and 15 from Ext 10, nothing happens. The lines do not pick up when you press the buttons on either extensions.
When you pick up the phones they just default to the first open line as they are set too, but you can not access any other line from them, but all my other extensions, work fine.

If the lines on the two extensions in question are set to No or Delayed Ring, I believe that picking up the handset when a call comes in will select a free line.

Are the lines on those extensions set to Immediate Ring? [ponder]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

go to those exts (14 and 15) and do Feature 00 then press each line button and let us know what they say. Also what release and style of Partner system are you working with?
Mike

Dexman: They are set to immediate ring.

Teletechman: When I got to both of those extensions and do Feature 00 It displays on the screen *0*0 and none of the intercom buttons work, it will not let me enter a programming mode on those extensions.

I am working with Avaya partner R8.0 12e and if it matters I have partner voice mail R5.

Its really weird to me, as I said i can take those phones and put them on another extension and the intercom and buttons work right as far as picking up a call from hold or selecting which line i want to pick up and call out on.

Having them display *0*0 instead of "Program Ext 14" when pressing Feature 00 is very weird. Especially since you are able to take the phones to another extension and function properly.

I assume you've taken a known working phone and tried at Ext. 14 and 15?

I would restart the phone system. Since you've got MLS series phones, it's pretty old. I would be afraid that the memory will clear if you power cycle the system. So, from Ext. 10, go into System Programming and dial #728 to do a Reset-Save All. This restarts the system, does NOT clear the memory, and does not cycle the power.

Feature 00
Left Intercom Twice
#728 - Reset-Save All
Phones will restart

I reset using #728 same issue. If I take a working phone and place it on 14 or 15 they stop working and act just like the two on it. I also took the one from ext 14 and put it on ext 10, it worked just fine and put it back on 14 and it worked for 2 minutes and then went back to not letting me select lines or the feature button not working and intercom buttons not working.

You have isolated it to those particular extension numbers, go to the control unit and plug them in there, eliminating the wiring to the station jacks. If they both function properly at the control unit, reconnect the wiring to one while testing the other, and swap which one you are testing and which one is working on the wiring. It could be a short between pairs of the 2 extension in the station cabling, but it could also be bad ports on the system.

Which version are you using? Partner, Partner Plus, Partner II, Partner ACS? If Plus or II, so you have additional 206 modules that you can swap to see if the trouble follows the port?

If it turns out to be bad ports
If it is a Partner, throw it away and get an ACS off of eBay
If it is a Partner Plus or Partner II, get a replacement 206 but actually get a replacement ACS and 308 expansion cards if needed
If it is an ACS, 14 and 15 are built on the Processor module, look at getting a replacement

In all cases, document how the system is programmed, because if it is earlier than an ACS you are likely to lose all programming when powering off to move and test modules

Hi TTT!

The OPs reply to my post includes a notation that the system is an R8 with a 012. [smile]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

Paul, thanks for keeping me straight! I was focused on the MLS phones and thinking someone using phones so old probably has a Partner Plus instead of an ACS.

So advice still stands, try the phones directly in the control unit with the station cabling disconnected, and if they don't work there, bad ACS and time to replace.

If they work at the control unit, then start adding back one element at a time until if fails to find the problem.

can a partner station be restricted to incoming call line access only/

can a partner station be restricted to incoming call line access only/

Absolutely

#302 by Extension and Line has No Restriction / Out Only / In Only / No Access

But copying a working extension number to the extension that appears to be restricted in some way overrides that setting.

Also the display of *0*0 on the screen when pressing Feature 00 kind of indicates a bad keypad. BUT, the phone works fine elsewhere, and good phones at the back jack exhibit the same behaviour. I'm leaning to a short in the wiring between the 2 stations.

We will be climbing up in the attack where the phone system is to test them directly on the ports tomorrow when we open back up and will report back i am leaning to bad wiring at this point if so fishing new line is always fun lol

More of a curiosity question. Is the attic location climate controlled? The image that comes to mind when I see attic is a hot dusty space. [ponder]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

Dexman, yes it is I call it the attic because you have to gu up a pulldown ladder to get to the second floor.

I went and unhooked the lines 14 and 15 and plugged directly in with a cable i know works, same thing with both lines. I plugged the phones into extra lines that were not used extension 24 and 25 on our system and one of the phones worked and let me put calls on hold, answer them, and the intercom buttons worked and function 00 The other line worked for a minute but now the phone is back to not letting me use any other buttons, i can only answer a ringing line on it, but all the other buttons do not work. I am thinking the Partner system is beginning to wear out on my and ports 14 and 15 on the unit are toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back