Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acronis Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naro

Technical User
Sep 4, 2003
US
I thought I was pleased with Acronis True Image as a backup solution. It has been well received in these threads. However, I'm running into a problem with True Image Home v9, which I discovered in a recent disaster recovery test.
The NOT AN ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE ARCHIVE - from Acronis Boot Disk. Problem

I make two daily .tib backups: one FULL to a second HD, one Incremental to a Maxtor removable USB HD. Each are verified. I can test and restore each, if I start my computer normally and then launch Acronis.

Acronis can find, identify and restore from either of these sets so I know they're "good". BUT.. when I boot from the Acronis Boot Disk (as in simulated disaster recovery)... NEITHER of these files is good..neither on the second HD or the removable USB HD. I get "the selected file is not an Acronis True Image Archive"

Now, I know the Boot disk works because it does successfully recognize another .tib (an image from an old HD I kept around). It just won't recognize the .tib files I'm making daily. This is a serious concern for me. It happens when the Acronis Boot Disk loads in the FULL or the limited modes. Also persists with latest build (3854).

To those who have had good luck with ACRONIS.. have you checked and found THIS problem?
Is there a different version of Acronis I should be looking at? Bill C - You've liked Acronis.. What version do you use (e.g. 9.1 Enterprise Server, or 9.1 Workstation??)

Have you had a look around the Acronis forums at Wilders?

Have you tried recreating your Boot Disk using the same version of Acronis that created the image? As that question may imply, I don't use Acronis myself, I have been happy with plain old ASR or the imaging software from Terabyte.

How to Set up and Use Automated System Recovery in Windows XP

Linney, thanks. I've looked around Acronis' forums. Have also tried your idea about recreating the Boot disk. That isn't it..
Acronis seems to suggest I repair the MBR, but I want to hear other thoughts on that first... and have a tech support inquiry in to Acronis now. Bill C uses Acronis, and I guess sooner or later he'll cruise by here and comment.
Thanks.

Thanks. I'm not going to chase the poor guy around just yet... but I appreciate the tip.

I am a great fan of Acronis - but it does have its problems.

If the version is older than the one that made the tib file - it will not recognise it. But the same or newer will. This goes for build number too. So don't expect build 1476 to restore a tib made with build 1926 (say)

If you don't have 'verify' selected when making a tib - then you won't know if it went wrong. If you set verify as default - then you will have far fewer issues.

Download the latest build and make a new iso and burn a new CD from that - hopefully that will see the tib files as backups.

However I note you are on a later build than me - I am on 3677. I will update & check a few backups & report back any issues or not.

But not right away as it is time to quit for the day.

Stduc, thank you for your observations. I do believe the .tib and ISO are the same build, but I'm not so sure that it isn't worth trying what you suggest.

PROBLEM RESOLVED: It was the build number on the iso that was to blame. Thanks

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

I have updated to build 3854 and successfully verified some backups made with 3677. I thought Acronis were supposed to email you if a new version became available? Perhaps I missed the email. I have certainly had emails before.

Just to be sure there was no backwards compatibility issues I restored an old image backup to a virtual PC. I don't know what version of Trueimage made that tib file but it is dated Jan 2005. It restore & booted (virtually of course).

I like Trueimage, but I am far from blind to its faults. Acronis seem to release their software far too soon while there are many bugs in it. I certainly shan't be moving to version 10 until the build number is in the late 2000's. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back