Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acrobat Reader v.8.0? Download Problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon13

Technical User
Jul 19, 2007
US
[gorgeous] I have a PDF program that allows me to fully access all of the functions but it uses Adobe Acrobat Reader for its output. Acrobat Reader doesn't allow me to edit my documents in anyway. The new Acrobat Reader states that it allows full functions within PDF documents. The problem is I can't download the new 8.0 version. I unchecked the Photo Starter and the GOOGLE Tool Bar downloads before starting the download and the program stops and disconnects within a few minutes of starting the download, error network problems. Does anyone have a clue, as to why this is happening, and I'm unable to download the new version of Acrobat Reader v.8.0?

I noticed that there is a question about, GetPlus(R)_ocx in this forum and the person wanted to know what it was because s/he found it in their Add and Remove Programs. GetPlus(R)_ocx is similar to an ActiveX control, in that it is used as a controller for various task such as downloading and uploading information. It is the technology behind the Adobe Download Manager. It is used by companies for data collection on individuals and gathering various information, kind of like a Cookie.

Adobe uses this program for download, upload and installation management, as well as for other things only they know. At any rate I believe that I'm unable to download Adobe Reader 8.0 because there's spyware included in the download manager, and/or Adobe Reader. My security is too tight for the download to complete. I've never had any problems before downloading and using Adobe Reader until this version. I contacted the company and inquired about this but they haven't gotten back to me with an answer. For those of you who might be interested in reading about this technology(Spyware)go to, Check it out!

...which version of windows are we talking about here, or is the mac one?

Andrew

...depending on what you want to do within acrobat reader, it is a limited product really with regards to edits, acrobat professional has more advanced features compared to acrobat reader however even the pro version has it's limits and is a better product in combination with enfocus pitstop pro...

...do you mean you aren't able to download the actual install program, or is it the part after you have downloaded the .exe file?

...if you can't download the .exe file have you tried another download link for acrobat reader, you can try here from my own web space see if that is any help:

...this is suitable for windows xp home edition you have (english)...

...if this fails are you using firefox to download it, i hear you have to enable add-on's to get it through firefox mozilla (this might not be relevant but thought worth mentioning anyway)...

Andrew

[gorgeous]Hi Andrew,

Thank you for helping me with this problem. I can't believe exactly how this happened but all I did was cut and pasted your URL into the address line of IE7, without ever clicking on the send button and LeechGet picked it up and started the download. I've never seen that happen before! At any rate, when I actually did click the goto button to go to your site it wouldn't load in IE7.

I recently installed Java 1.6.0._02 and this is the first time that Java has actually worked correctly on my computer for a long time. I previously had a virus in the Java program that I fixed before updating to this version that had been causing me problems. Problems all gone and this version is working fine, now I see all the things I'm supposed to see when running Java and not all of those red x's and empty boxes.

At any rate, I'm stunned at what happened because this is a first, and I think that I've seen a lot of things happen on my computers in the past. I wasn't able to log onto your site but I was able to go through it just by cutting and pasting the URL. As soon as I did that LeechGet picked up on it and started the download and so far it's going well. I have been having problems with IE7 every since it installed on my computer, it has been messing up other settings and programs and has never allowed me to directly download any program from the INTERNET site where the actual program is located.

When ever I download a program it will go to the page, but inform me that the content has been blocked. Once I'm on the page though, I'm able to click for LeechGet 2004 to download it and it does with it's wizard. Since it has worked, I've never bothered to try and fix it, it's serving its purpose. Thank you for your help, it is well appreciated!

Thanks for the info.. found this trying to find out what getPlus(R)_ocx program is and how it got in my program files. Like the (R)? wonder if that is from the reload I did on my PC. Hope the issues that caused me to have to reload weren't from this program!! anyway..thanks

[gorgeous]Hi Andrew,

Just wanted to let you know that the download was successful through your site, I'm now up and running... Thanks again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back