Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acrobat crashed and will not re-install

Status
Not open for further replies.

831st

Technical User
Nov 5, 2003
US
I have a user who's Acrobat stopped opening documents - no error, it just won't open. I finally decided to uninstall/reinstall, but the installation will not complete. It gets so far, the install window closes, and that's it ... the program is not installed although there are some registry entries created.

How can I repair this installation?

TIA,

831st System Administrator

You could try helping out the automatic uninstalls a little.
I had a lot of conflicts awhile back from having Capture 1, reader 2, 3, and 4 and Distiller 2 and 4 on my machine.
Im running win98se, and jv16 power tools to help me out with registry work.
First I used the automatic uninstall for all of those applications that were listed.
Then I looked on c drive for any directories related to adobe and deleted them.
Then I went to program files and deleted adobe directories in program files and in program files\common files.
Then rebooted system and used jv16 powertools to search for any adobe entries in the registry and deleted them.
Then rebooted again, and went back to reinstall of adobe apps i wanted to use.
I still have a couple of problems-There is some true type related stuff that got installed with the really old adobe apps im not getting rid of and the reader 3 links from my lotus software override the reader 4 links from an install of acrobat 4, but at least the software installed and can be made to run.
If you're not running adobe anything except one version of acrobat, the approach above might get you going again. I dont know what variations might be required by win2k or xp.

Actually, if I'd done a little more homework up front, I would not have had to post this. Adobe has an excellent FAQ on how to totally uninstall their products for each OS.

Once I following their instructions (which included deleting some DLLs that I still had around) the uninstall was complete and I had no problem re-installing. DUH

Hope this helps someone else!

831st SA

I found out that ADOBE Writer 6.0 was writing temp files to my C: drive.
It did this for an entire weekend. When I would try and open up the software, the splash screen would display and then the system would lock up trying to sort through all of the Temp files.
I upgraded from 4.0, and I thik that 4.0 was the root cause.
Anyhow By deleting the temp files, the problem disappeared.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back