Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acrobat Automation Is there such a thing? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindPete

Programmer
Jul 5, 2000
US
Currently I have VB utility that sends key strokes to Acrobat Exchange. Is there some way to make use of auotmation with acrobat? [sig]<p> Pete<br><a href=mailto:blindpete@mail.com>blindpete@mail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>What your mother told you is true! You will go blind! (from moonshine anyway)[/sig]

I'm using a product called WinBatch from Wilson Windowware to automate PDF manipulation, similar to your Visual Basic strategy. With WinBatch, you can build a script to handle all the manual keystrokes, pop up windows for capturing variable values, and put the whole process on the clock. We generate PDFs from a variety of programs and they are combined in Acrobat Exchange, bookmarked and optimized by the WinBatch script. In the end, the script invokes an FTP tool to transfer the finished product from the desktop to an intranet web server. The scripts can be modular (callable with passed paramters). This tool has saved me counless hours of manual PDF preparation. Microsoft has a similar scripting language, but I haven't used it.

Species8472 and Pete,

Could you please tell me more about using WinBatch to automate PDF manipulation? I am experiencing difficulty to add bookmarks in hundreds of PDF manually. I appreciate it.

Tina
the@mau.opinionresearch.com

I wrote a VBA program that build the book marks for me. But is basically sends keystokes to Acobat and it can get out of sink... not mention while its running I can't do anything else. Mine creates the PDf with a report writer. Then opens it in Exchange, Then searches the PDF and builds roughly a thousand bookmarks. I still have to structure them by hand but at least I don't have to create them.

Half way there.
-Pete

Pete,

We would need to merge PDF files starting with some name into a single PDF file. Could you please send us the above said VBA code to sreeni.prabhala@bigfoot.com, in case you still have it.

Thanks,
Sreeni.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back