Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acrobat and Reader on the same Citrix PS 4.5 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

woter324

Technical User
Jan 26, 2007
GB
Hi,

We have four (retail) boxes of Adobe Acrobat 9 Std (apparently this give us 8 licenses) and we would like to deploy these into our Citrix server farm that already has Adobe Reader.

Is it possible to run both sets of executables on the same server or do we have to publish Acrobat on four servers and then reader on the remaining?

If it is possible, are there any special installation processes we need to adhere to?

Many thanks in advance.

This is also posted on Adobe's website

Hi Enigma99,

Thanks for your reply. I have had a look through this document, but I cannot find anything about installing Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader on the same server.

From what I understand, both programs use the same executables and this can cause a problem. I am sure on older versions of Adobe, one had to mess arround with processor effinity and the like. Is this still the case or have Adobe got cleaver and allow both to run simultaneously out of the box?

Many thanks

you could install the reader into an Application Isolation Environment. This should allow you to run both, I think.
I would try on a test server first tho.

I am agreeing with KaronW with installing the reader in an Application Isolation Environment.

On this topic, what would cause Adobe Acrobat Std 7.0 to crash when one is trying to either open a .pdf or create one from a report generated by a proprietary application? Please bear in mind that this only happens in Citrix sessions, not with local installations of these 2 apps. For clarifications purposes, the version of Citrix is MPS 4.0 (SP2, FR2, I believe) on MS W2kAdvSvrSP4. The error is not specific to versions or Windows OS, as it has happened on W2kProSP4 and XPproSP3 machines.
Thanks in advance.

I can't believe Adobe don't have an 'easy' solution. Oh well. Guess that's why we have jobs :).

If it was up to me, we'd use CuteFTP or set up a linux PDF printer.

We've got AppSense, but it has problems with Citrix that we never got to the bottom of.

For now I've scripted it with VBscript in the logon script. It's a bit messey, but works.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back