Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acrobat 6.0 crashes immediately 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgreer

Programmer
Oct 4, 2002
US
I just wanted to inform anyone else who might experience the same problem:

Acrobat 6.0 Professional on Windows XP Pro platform. On program load, Acrobat immediately closes without any error message.

The fix for now, until Adobe resolves the issue, is to remove the Updater.api file from the plug-ins folder.

Thomas D. Greer

Thomas D. Greer

I am not having quite the same problem, however I can't get Acrobat 6.0 Standard to start in Windows XP. Here is the scenario. I having been using Acrobat 5.05 without error for the last 8 months, I recently upgraded to 6.0 and the installation went fine. However when I attempted to start the program, I am prompted with a message that says "Adobe Acrobat 6.0 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I tried removing the Updater.api from the plug-ins directory like you suggested but that had no effect. I still received the error. Any ideas? If you like you can contact me offline at jimr@netaxcess.com.

No, I didn't encounter that problem. To see if it's a problem with one of the plug-ins, remove them all to another folder, and see if Acrobat starts normally.

Thomas D. Greer

tgreer: i've noticed that you have a large knowlege base when it comes to acrobat. i was wondering if you could give me some information on how to covert multiple doc files to pdf at one time. can this be done for other file extentions as well?

thanks

tgreer; i have just submitted a question reguarding converting multiple files to pdf at once and forgot to mention that i have acrobat version 5

I'll help if I can... actually my expertise is in the PostScript language and the PDF file format, not so much with the Acrobat application.

Multiple files: what kind(s) of files?

To PDF: to a single PDF? To multiple PDFs?

Must this be done through the Acrobat user interface, or can you program in JavaScript or another language?

I suggest you respond to these questions by posting a brand-new thread with an appropriate subject and more detail!

Thomas D. Greer

Thomas.... we are presently experiencing the same problem under Acrobat 6.0 standard and operating in the Windows proffesional 2000 environment. Do you believe that this could be a fix for this problem too?

Appreciate your thoughts...

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back