Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acrobat 5 and 6 Configure one to open IE links 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kippy13

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
IE
Hi,
The PC has Adobe Writer 5 and Adobe Reader 6.02 on it.

The problem is that Internet Explorer will only open a PDF in Writer 5 when following a link on a web page. The issue seems to be the same regardless of what version I associate PDFs with or what order I install the products in. Double clicking on a adobe on the desktop opens it in v6, but Internet Explorer only wants to open PDF files in the version 5. I'd like to get web PDF's open in version 6.
Anyone got any ideas?

Looking for the best answers:
faq222-2244
Keeping your system clear of malware:
faq608-4650
Dont forget to post back with the eventual resolution.

If you have v6 why do you need v5? Or have you tried removing v5 and it still won't open IE links with v6?

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

We have a license for Adobe writer 5.
Adode reader 6 is far better for opening web documents that 5 as the process does not remain active after closing the application.

faq222-2244
faq608-4650

Kippy13,

. What is the status of the Adobe ActiveX control under IE? Is the Reader 6.02 installed and enabled?

. What is the status of the file extension information for .PDF files under Folder Options, File types?

Hi bcastner,
Long time no talk.
Basically Adobe reader is installed and enabled as if a PDF file is opened from the desktop it opens it through Adobe Reader 6.
It is only through internet explorer that the issue arises.
In file types Adobe Reader 6 is the default option for opening PDF files. There is no mention of writer.
I dont understand what you mean about the Adobe ActiveX control.
Thanks for everyones help thus far.

faq222-2244
faq608-4650

For IE, a .PDF should look to the ActiveX control installed (unless IE settings block it, or block it from running) by default. Check too that under the Reader 6.02 options you have enable the featue to open within a web page.

Use Hijack this to see if you have an enabled ActiveX control for "AcroIEHlpOBjClass", and ActiveX control.

It is possible your IE security settings are preventing the running of this, or its intallation.

Download HijackThis!:
AutRuns if you enable all View options can also help:

Hi,

I have an almost identical problem to kippy13.
On my old W2K Pro installation the problem was identical, Acrobat 5 was used by IE6 instead of Reader 6.0.1
Now I've "updated" to XP Pro I don't have Acrobat 5 installed any more (yet). Despite installing / uninstalling Reader 6 several times, enabling Reader to open in browser, and allowing everything other than unsigned activeX controls in IE6.

When I click on a pdf file in a web page, I get a nearly blank screen with the little IE symbol for unknown file in the top LH corner.
Right clicking on the pdf lets me download it, then I can go to the download, click on it and Reader 6 does its sfuff OK.

XP / IE6 is patched with everything other than SP2.
I also run McAfee AntiVirus and Firewall etc.

Hijackthis reports that
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll

Is this OK?

Autoruns reports for HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects
AcroIEHlprObj Class Adobe Acrobat IE Helper Version 6.0 for ActivieX Adobe Systems Incorporated c:\program files\adobe\acrobat 6.0\reader\activex\acroiehelper.dll

This looks OK to me.

I have asked this question 10 days ago over in the TechIMO forums but to no avail.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Peter.

Hi,

I have an almost identical problem to kippy13.
On my old W2K Pro installation the problem was identical, Acrobat 5 was used by IE6 instead of Reader 6.0.1
Now I've "updated" to XP Pro I don't have Acrobat 5 installed any more (yet). Despite installing / uninstalling Reader 6 several times, enabling Reader to open in browser, and allowing everything other than unsigned activeX controls in IE6.

When I click on a pdf file in a web page, I get a nearly blank screen with the little IE symbol for unknown file in the top LH corner.
Right clicking on the pdf lets me download it, then I can go to the download, click on it and Reader 6 does its sfuff OK.

XP / IE6 is patched with everything other than SP2.
I also run McAfee AntiVirus and Firewall etc.

Hijackthis reports that
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll

Is this OK?

Autoruns reports for HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects
AcroIEHlprObj Class Adobe Acrobat IE Helper Version 6.0 for ActivieX Adobe Systems Incorporated c:\program files\adobe\acrobat 6.0\reader\activex\acroiehelper.dll

This looks OK to me.

I have asked this question 10 days ago over in the TechIMO forums but to no avail.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Peter.

My workaround for this issue:

. Upgrade Reader 6.0 to 6.0.1
. Upgrade Reader from 6.0.1 to 6.0.2

Reboot and test. (There is no straight line from 6.0 to 6.0.2, do the double upgrade).

(Pick the two upgrade packages carefully, as the choices are a little confusing).

Thanks bcaster, I was already at 6.0.1, but unfortunately the 6.0.2 upgrade has done no good [sad].

BTW, sorry about the double post, I got an error message on the first one and re-posted. I have asked for it to be removed.

Peter.

peterjennings,

How very annoying. How much have you screwed down the ActiveX controls under IE, Tools, Internet Options, Security, Internet Zone, Custom Settings ?

Consider enabling all but download options under the ActiveX section.

In addition, there could be a DLL registration issue involved. Run, including with the SFC check enabled, this tool to re-register key DLL files needed by IE:
A missed DLL registration can lead to a null result, or a blank window. The above utility does short work of resetting the needed registration values. Reboot and test.

This is getting very frustrating! It's not that it's really important, just annoying that it doesn't work - still. Afer all that time and effort.

Everything except unsigned ActiveX controls is now allowed or at least not blocked completely.

I've run iefix several times, with all thhe options ticked, including a copmplete reinstall of IE6 + SP1, followed by a quick visit to Windows Update.
It now claims to be
Version 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2_gdr.040517-1325
Which I presume means it is up to XP SP2 level fixes.
But still no Reader6.0.2
Ran iefix yet again - nada.

That little green reboot icon is getting worn out!

Cheers,

Peter.

If you have the MSN toolbar installed, it will also cause this to happen.

Remove the MSN toolbar.

Notes:

. HijackThis should allow removal of the MSN toolbar
. ToolBarCop can also help: . AutoRuns should allow disabling the MSN toolbar
. If you use regedit and delete:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser]

And restart your computer, IE will rebuild a default toolbar band without any customizations.

No, only standard IE6 toolbar plus google toolbar.

toolbarcop doesn't show anything out of the ordinary or unexpected.

BTW, Reader works as expected if a site is viewed in Netscape 7.2.

Peter.

For other reasons I have just installed Acrobat 5.0 (the full product, not the reader) and it now comes up in IE6 when I click on a pdf link. Not the ideal solution, as some pdfs prepared with Acrobat 6 can be backwards incompatable, but much better than nothing.

Peter

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all your help.
I found a solution to this issue.
I dont think any of the above tips applied in my case however they may in some cases. What I did was opened reader 5.
Go to Edit-Preferences-internet.
Untick everything in "web browser options"(just to be safe).
This has worked. Again, thanks for all your help.

faq222-2244
faq608-4650

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all your help.
I found a solution to this issue.
I dont think any of the above tips applied in my case however they may in some cases. What I did was opened reader 5.
Go to Edit-Preferences.
Untick everything in "web browser options"(just to be safe).
This has worked. Again, thanks for all your help.

faq222-2244
faq608-4650

kippy13,

Thank you for your post. There is no question that only one Adobe reader type application should be assigned the chore of opening PDFs under the browser.

I am sure your steps will help many. I note though that one site (with fairly lengthy experience in PDFs) suggests that the combination is unstable; to put it charitably, the combination of any Full Acrobat + the installation of the free Reader is simply not recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back