Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acrobat 5.0 and Illustrator 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiber0pti

ISP
Nov 22, 2000
US
I have an illustrator file with a true type font in it. When I went to Kinkos to get some printed they were able to embed the font I have in the illustrator file into the acrobat file. However, I cannot accomlish this. I bought this font and I cannot embed it. I can get Times and other generic fonts to embed. What am I doing wrong? My font it in the always embed box. I don't know what else to do.

Hi

You have set the print options up correctly, but are you using the saved job options when you print?

Could you be missing a command from Illustrator which sets the print output to ensure fonts are embedded? This is a standard thing which Illustrator can do (I have gone through this with many a graphical artist sending me illustrator files without embedding - d'oh!) Derren
[Mediocre talent - spread really thin]

So, how do I make Illustrator 7 choose the correct Job? Could I just rename my job to the default job? Thanks for your help. Thats the best thing I've been told so far.

Is it worth converting the text to outlines maybe!!

Or as derren says when you go to print you need to make sure that ALL the fonts are being downloaded with the job.

If you want the fonts to be included in a PDF this is a Printer issue. Make sure you download all the fonts with the job. It's an option in the print boxs some where. (Not sure which OS you are using). If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

BuddingDesigner, that was another generic answer I've been getting from everyone. I will just wait for derren to reply again, he seemed to be the most help full out of anyone, even Adobe. Thanks for the effort. I have been making sure the fonts download with exception to which Job distiller is actually using.

Hi (been away-sorry)

PDFwriter:
Open file, print, choose pdfwriter as your printer. Press the properties button next to it (or somewhere in the print dialogue box! I don't know if you are a Mac or PC user so I'll just wing it). You should now be looking at the Acrobat PDFwriter properties.

The tab you are after is "font embedding". To be safe tick "embed all fonts" (it will only embed a subset of the font, so only characters that are used are embedded to keep the size down). Have a peek at the other options if any of them appeal...

Hit OK and print. One file with fonts embedded

Distiller
Open file, print, choose distiller as the printer, go to properties (as pdfwriter).

From the acrobat distiller document properties dialogue which you should be looking at go to the adobe pdf settings and your job options wil be listed. Choose "press" for hardcore, full embedded high res output, or you can choose another and "edit conversion settings". This will take you to another dialogue with a "fonts" tab. Tick the "embed all fonts" box. Tweak any other settings you like then save the job options as a name of your choice.

When you finally get out of all these and end up back at the print dialogue box you can press "print"

This should sort out all of your font issues (as long as you have them installed on your system that is!)

[fish] Derren
[Mediocre talent - spread really thin]

Thanks darren. Unfortunatley that didn't help either. I think I may just have to upgrade from Illustrator 7.0 to 9 or 10.
Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back