Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acquiring licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey36

MIS
May 23, 2005
GB
Is it still possible to get hold of Windows 95/98 licenses these days? We've got old PCs that I don't really want to have to install 2000/XP on.

We've got a volume license key for Windows XP for all of our modern computers, has it ever been the case that holding these licenses allows you to install older versions of the software (ie. Windows 9x) or have I just made that up?

If anyone could give me any advice on this, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Monkey36.

If you can find someone that has some in stock, or someone willing to sell and transfer their old 9x licenses, that is fine, but you cannot legally purchase and use OEM licenses, only retail licenses. The short answer is yes its possible, but its not something Microsoft still makes available to its partners.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

I have been told what you said, that having an XP license would allow you to legally run an older version instead, but I do not have any links for any written statements to that effect so I do not know if it is fact or folklore.

Surely you can legally purchase OEM licenses with hardware?

That's the way it seems to work in the UK...

Don't know what the definition of hardware might be, but it usually appears to be a motherboard or a hard disk.

I hope you keep those computers with older Windows versions behind a firewall and restrict internet access to as few sites as possible. Microsoft is no longer providing any security updates for Windows NT, 95, 98, 98se or Millennium. So view those workstations as vulnerable and unsafe for critical tasks.

Also, for internet and email access you can use FireFox browser or Thunderbird email from

Sorry but win98 bashing gets my hackles up.

" So view those workstations as vulnerable and unsafe for critical tasks."

I think that is an exaggerated scare statement. I believe there are still security updates being provided for explorer. There are, as you suggest in the first part of your post, additional security precautions you can take.

I use a win98 computer everyday for activities important to my company and have little to no problems.

Regards.
d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back