Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acquiring a "Lab" Legend 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2005
US
Hi everyone,

I'm 18 years old, and have been bitten by the 'telecom bug'. I recently got the opportunity to install a Nortel CICS for a local small business. Now, I'd like to get some experience on some larger PBXs, such as a Merlin Legend or a small Definity. Since I live in a small area, these are pretty hard to come by. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a small "lab" system that I can get my hands on to experiment with? Budget is a huge concern, as you can imagine how much money an 18-year-old has for a PBX! :) I'm a little leary of eBay, as I don't want to get a lemon that will die after a few days of programming. I've heard of some companies that are acutally just throwing this stuff away as they move to VoIP platforms, but I don't know where to start. Any advice?!

Thanks!
- Matthew

eBay is a pretty good source of used Legend equipment - just buy from vendors that have a stellar reputation and a record of good customer service - meaning they will replace any items you buy that are defunct.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

MATT, What part of the country are you in?

I may know some vendors that may be willing to subsidise your efforts.

Matt,

Like you, I am also in my teens (17) and also have an immense interest in phone systems. The merlin legend that I installed in my home was completely purchased on eBay for under $100 dollars (including phones too). It has yet to fail (knock on wood). In fact, I was able to acquire some pretty good equipment for really good prices. For instance, I got a R7 CKE3 for twenty bucks (not bad at all). Probably, the most expensive card was the 408 MLX GS/LS ID, but that's only because it has caller ID capabilities. If ur building this system as a pure lab/test system, you can stick with regular 408s (and save some money). With regard to legend phones, they're dirt cheap on eBay as well. Wehn buying though, just make sure that the guy has a non-doa warranty, and everything should be ok. I've done tons of ebay purchases and have only run into one bad one (with a merlin 410 w/ bad power supply), however, the seller refunded me.

Anyway, good luck

Dmitry Barsky

If U buy a Definity Prologix, you will be able to learn the basics of the Definitys for systems having 25,000 users. Most of the software is the same, and a lot of the hardware, other than the actual box it goes in. One sold for $148, but that without any circuit packs or phones.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I really appreciate them! Merlinman, I'm in SW Wisconsin, if you may know any vendors in the Madison, WI or Chicago area. I know its a longshot, but it would be really great if any vendors could help out on the equipment, even if the processor is an old release. Dmitry, thanks for the assurance on buying via eBay; any vendors that you recommend? While it would be great to go for a Definity, I don't think that my budget would support it. As far as the Legend goes, I think all I really need is an R7 processor, the cabinet, a 408 MLX (non-CLID), a MLX-20L, and a few MLX-5 or 10Ds. Once again, thanks for the replies!

- Matthew

Matthew,

As far as vendors go, try to look for ones that sell almost or everything you want to buy, that way you'll save major bucks on shipping. When I purchased my legend system, I bought almost all my components (cabinet, powersupply, R7, and 408ATL; i had to buy the 408GSLSID mlx from someone else) from a guy called XS-Tech (shipping was only like $20). Im pretty happy with the sale overall, and would certainly reccommend this seller. But in general just look for someone who sells most of everything you need....shipping is key. In fact, I have attempted to acquire a definity many times, but shipping prices always stopped me. I tried to buy an SCC (Single Cabinet Carrier) and failed when I realized shipping was over $100. It was the same with a prologix carrier (the shipping was quite high). However, if you can get a cabinet locally (or if u can bypass shipping), try a definity too, the cards really aren't that expensive, many being under $20.00 on ebay.

Dmitry

There is also the Intuitys voice mail server. You might be able to find a Mach 3 for cheap, cuz they are so old. But most of the software is very similiar to the current Intuity.(don't bother with a Audix R1, Audix Voice Power, or derivatives, they are too old.)
And if you see a Definity One, or the very similiar IP 600, they have the Intuity built in. They are probably the least stable of the Definity systems, but would be great for learning. I know talking to technicians in the past, that they have equipment sitting in their garage that their employer didn't want, but trying to find those technicians is the hard thing. I have been looking for 'Lab systems' for awhile, but haven't had much luck.

I am in southcentral wisconsin, I do have some Legned stuff laying around. What kind of stuff you looking for, i should have an older processor and a few cards, no phones at the time.

Hey telecomtekperson, thanks for the post. I'm looking for an older processor, 408 GS/LS (no CLID), and obviously a carrier / PS.

Thanks,
Matthew

Hi everyone,

Oddly enough, the company that I do IT consulting work for just opted to purchase a refurbed Legend to replace an aging Vodavi PBX. I've been designated to handle all of the programming and install of the Legend, so needless to say, I really don't need a lab system anymore! I may be back on the forum asking a few questions later on.

Thanks for everyones help on this issue!
- Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back