Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACPI Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidPaul

Programmer
Jun 24, 2000
GB
Hi just wondering if anybody has any suggestions on this matter. My computer keeps restarting itself after a random amount of time, it happens it any application, sometimes when it's just left not doing anything. Then in the Event Log it reports it as being an ACPI error. So I though I might disable ACPI in the BIOS to see if that would sort it out, but my BIOS doesn't have a disable option for ACPI, just two different modes; both of which still cause the ACPI error to occur.

It seems to happen more frequently when in Baldur's Gate, or connected to the Internet. I know it's not an overheating problem since system temp is 26 when it's working, and CPU temp is around 42-48 which are low temperatures.

My sysyem spec is:

ABit KG7-RAID using a 1GHz Athlon 266FSB
512MB DDR RAM PC2100 2.5CAS
CMI-8738 Sound Card
GeForce 2 MX 32Mb
3Com Network Card
Conexant 56k v.90 Internal HW Modem
Hauppage WinTV Go

I'm using Windows XP Pro, Detonator 3 v23.11 drivers

If anybody has any ideas then thanks.

Oh, yes I forgot to mention that I have tried changing my PSU and that hasn't solved it. I've tried reinstalling Windows (twice).

I've heard of problems simular to this that were caused by power fluctuations. Its possible that your voltage is changing just enough to cause windows to throw a flag and reboot. Most cases are solved by installing a UPS. I wouldn't just go buy one though unless you're sure thats the problem. It could be something completely different. I just know its a possiblilty. -Dustin
Rom 8:28

I have just read on AMD's website that there is an issue between the AMD761 System Controller and VT82C686B Southbridge when used in conjunction with DDR RAM. It just so happens that the KG7-RAID board uses those chips, and uses DDR only.

The document is dated April 2001, so might have been fixed by the time the KG7-RAID board was released a few months later. If this is the source of the problem then there are no current solutions to the problem.

I haven't tried testing the power yet, I'll try my system at work and see if it does it there. If it doesn't then hopefully the problem is a power fluctuation as suggested by Dustman.

i have the same problem
microsoft has an article in their knowledge base about the acpi errors
they suggest a bios upgrade

I've tried updating my BIOS already since I've already read those articles. I tried updating it as soon as I started getting this trouble.

This may be a long shot, and you should really consider all other options before doing this, but you can change the ACPI driver under Computer Type in Device Manager. Update the driver to Standard Computer, basically rendering the ACPI technology useless.

Good Luck.

Carlos

The ACPI error has been got rid of using the latest VIA 4in1 drivers, except now it gives an unrecoverable BSOD which says IRQ_LESS_THAN (or something like that).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back