Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACPI error causing reboot 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boozer

Technical User
Aug 22, 2001
US
Hello! I have a computer that reboots about every five minutes. It will not reboot if you are running a program, like winamp, but if one is just surfing the net it will reboot. I have all the power saving features turned off in XP and in the BIOS. I have XP set to NOT automatically restart on errors. When going through the system log, this is the error that appears every time:

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0xcfc), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

I replaced the power supply and am not sure what to check from here on out. Any suggestions?

Check the manufacturer's web site for a bios update.

Via chipset, right?
Tried loading newer Via drivers?

Did some more looking and gotta' say smah is spot on! (as usual!)

Hey! Thanks for the suggestions, I updated the bios, which did get rid of the ACPI errors. I also updated the VIA drivers to the latest 4in1's. Unfortunately, the reboot still occurs every five minutes :( It does not reboot if I let it sit at the boot disk MS-DOS prompt, but does reboot in Safe mode or regular mode. No other errors in the logs... Any other suggestions?

Have another look in the Event Viewer both System and Application folders.

Check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that is causing your problem.

We may have gone for a red herring, 'cause from what I'm reading the error message was there, but in a majority of the cases, that was it, there were no other ill effects from it.
I think you need to download and run memtest...don't have the link on this computer...

Thanks again guys, the 256 MB stick that I had in there was bad. Failed the mem test 5 out of 5 times. I replaced it with a good 256 MB stick from a comp that has been running fine (this stick also passed the mem test 5 out of 5 time), confident that that was my problem when... *beep* The comp rebooted *then i threw monitor through wall because it was the only thing not broken* :) I have all cards disconnected except the vid card and just my main hard drive connected. I noticed a faint rythmic tick, tick, tick, tick sound from the PC speaker at the time of the reboot, I can also here that sometimes during startup. A couple times, it seemed to take my comp about 30 seconds before i heard the post beep. I'm going to return the new power supply i got a try a, now, newer new one :p I'll let ya know what happens. Any thoughts about the PC speaker tick or the delayed POST?

Been there, done that (Just a couple of weeks ago as a matter of fact). That ticking is some part of your computer getting power (probably on the m/b), then not, then again. If you wait long enough, it will eventually sound like machine gun fire. At boot, enter the bios & go to the section about health or voltage settings or something like that. On mine, quite often the +12V was running just over 11, one time even 10.9

Replace the power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back