Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acessing samba server from win98 client

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisdba

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2002
SG

Is there any necessary setting needed in smb.conf for win98 client. Keep prompting wrong password even entered correctly. There is no issue on accessing from win95 client.

when issue a command "./smbclient -L hostname",
below error occur
"session request to HOSTNAME failed (Called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)"

Anyone can help????

thkz

Win98 uses encrypted passwords - use the regkey supplied with samba to set Win98 to cleartext passwords.

Set wins support = yes in your smb.conf to resolve the name service problems.

urgl

I have alreay set the encrypte passwords = yes & also the win support = yes.
Besides, also used the smbpasswd to create the password.
Now the problem is when i do a "./smbclient -L localhosts",
i can see all the share path information. However, when i do a "./smbclient -L HOSTNAME", it shows mean the above mentioned error. I'm running the samba on a solaris server.
Could it be the NetBIOS stuff causing this error.

thks

If it's a name service problem try nmblookup -A ip-of-host to see if you can resolve the name.
Please post your smb.conf and the output of smbclient -L localhost

ok thks urgl, i'll post them on 20 May because i'll only be back office on that day.

hi urgl, when i did a "nmblookup -A ip-of-host", it shows that the host is ACTIVE. Anyway, below is the smb.conf & o/p
of "smbclient -L localhost"

[global]
sercurity = share
workgroup = workgroup
encrpyt passwords = yes
users = bbuser
hosts allow = 134.6.154.92
[bbuser]
comment = BB software
path = /sabackup/BB
hosts allow = 134.6.154.92
valid users = bbuser
ready only = no
public = yes

output of "smbclient -L localhost"
Sharename Type Comment
bbuser Disk IPC Services (Samba 2.0.7)
Server Comment
SNOOPY Samba 2.0.7
Workgroup Master
WORKGROUP

urgl, even i remove the hosts allow and
i also try to add the interface parameter still same.
i thk i'm giving up.

Don't give up! I'm new to all this but with the help of a few friends on these forums I was able to get it to work. This is what I did (based mainly on the excellent book "Using Samba" by Robert Eckstein, David Collier-Brown and Peter Kelly - O'Reilly press):
1- Make sure Windows 98 has a seperate user profile for the users you want to be able to access Samba. CONTROL PANEL-> PASSWORDS -> USER PROFILES. Make sure the second radio ("Users can customize...") is checked and BOTH checkboxes on the bottom are checked.
2- Select the CHANGE PASSWORDS tab -> CHANGE WINDOWS PASSWORD tab -> change the password. Remember it has to be the same as the password on Samba. In my case it already was and wouldn't work. BUT I then went in here and changed it to itself (simply enter the old password back in again when it asks for the new password and then it worked!)
3- I had to tweak my Network protocols. What I wound up with was my NIC card listing, TCP/IP, and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks. Check you TCP/IP settings. NOTE: I'm assuming from your post that you have a lot more admin experience than I so I am not going to list all the details. If I'm wrong let me know and I can give you all the settings I used to get it to work.

One note: you can not mix a Samba WINS server and a Windows server as the primary/backup combination in the WINS dialog. Evidently they don't really work the same and it messes up the name resolution.

4-Check for bindings under TCP/IP Properties -> Bindings. Both CLient for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks should be checked.

5- Go into you Network Configuration screen and set the computer name using the NetBIOS name not your DNS hostname and domain. Set your workgroup name.

6- REBOOT

For me that worked. The Samba share showed up and I can put files into it from my windoz box and read them from the Linux server.

Hope this helps rather than confuses!

George K
I'd like George to reply by:
E-mail[ ] Phone[ ] Swallow- European[ ] African[ ]

hi george, i guess the problem is not with the win98 client side but the samba server side. cos when i did a "smblient -L hostname" on the samba server itself, it shows the error mentioned above. i guess some setting on the TCP/IP protocol on the samba server, just can't figure out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back