Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acer notebook system recovery problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougpeplow

Programmer
Feb 1, 2000
FR
I have a system recovery problem with my Acer Aspire laptop. I lent it to a friend, who tried to use a memory stick in the USB ports,normally used by a bluetooth device (used for dial-up modem) and an optical mouse. When he returned it, the laptop would hang when connected to the internet through the bluetooth device and the keyboard and touch pad would lock. I tried to detect 'conflicts', but now, in my frustration, I have tried the ACER supplied recovery discs and a new installation of XP, re-formatted the partiton with the system software on it, but still the keyboard and touch pad lock. I cannot complete the re-installation of XP, because I cannot type a response to some of the set-up requirements (like name for User accounts). Stangely, the USB optical mouse still works, even though the drivers for it must have been deleted when re-formatting the partiton! Can an help be offered please?

LInney
Thanx - the integral keyboard works OK during the very early stages of XP system installation (ie when you have to chose which partiton to install on, the up/down arrow keys work fine) and I can make the cursor move whilst the XP splash screen is loading on re-boot. Therefore deduce that physical/hardware connections are reliable. It only locks half way through the installation sequence!
Dougpeplow

Hi,situation has now changed; I have managed to load XP from the ACER recovery disks, but after loading my profile, the desktop starts and all the icons appear, then the system tray starts to load. It's at this point the keyboard locks! I can use safe mode as normal. Any suggestions?

Can you try another Keyboard, or see if you can use the On-Screen Keyboard (Windows Key+U) while disconnecting the normal keyboard?

From Safe Mode, you can access the Event Viewer and check that for any clues, be aware that the fact you are in Safe Mode will generate some (false) errors as not all Services or Drivers load in Safe Mode.

There are also the Setup logs in C:/Windows to look at for clues.

Will Safe Mode allow you to load any updated drivers for your Keyboard?

linney thanx - the keyboard is integral to th laptop - is it possible to disconnect it? there is no ps2 port on the laptop, so guess must try USB one?
will try the logs for info
Dougpeplow

My error, I forgot this was a laptop. These are just general Keyboard related threads, see if there is anything useful.

Keyboard dead at logon.
thread779-396323

Keyboard stops responding
thread779-855939

No Keyboard or Mouse After Installing Logitech 9.0 Mouseware Drivers on Windows 2000 (Q256233)

linney, thanx again for your continuing interest.
For info, I've re-formatted the C: partition and tried installing clean versions of XP; XP pro; win 2000 and a second set of ACER recovery disks. All have the same effect: they load right to the end of 'set-up' and then the keyboard and touch-pad lock.
Have folowed your link to " No Keyboard or Mouse After Installing Logitech 9.0 Mouseware Drivers on Windows 2000 (Q256233).." - looks promising! Question: if my friend had installed (inadvertently) drivers for his flash stick memory, when he borrowed my laptop ( he said it had a set-up programme associated with it), would any 'enhanced filter drivers' remain resident in the registry, even if I re-formatted the c: partition? Could these be the possible cause?
rgds DougPeplow

A Format and clean install would remove all remnants of past installs on the drive selected. Sometimes hidden recovery partitions give problems but I don't think this would be applicable in this case. What might effect a clean install is attached hardware that is discovered during any install and any Bios settings that are in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back