Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acer CD-RW 20x10x40x can't write but can still read

Status
Not open for further replies.

entaroadun

Programmer
Sep 27, 2002
US
I have an Acer CD-RW 20x10x40x. It can't write but can still read. I'm not sure where to begin diagnosing the problem. Would someone please give me some pointers so I can get started?

Thank you all very much for your help.

Get a CD Cleaner and see if that works. I BELEIVE that the burners have two heads. One for writing and one for reading, but I'm not quite sure. (I've not ventured far enough in my "TAKING APART THINGS TO SEE HOW THEY WORK" to go as far as ripping apart a burner. ;))

If that doesn't work, ya can get a decent, and faster burner for under $100cdn... which works out to pennies US. {smirk}

Depending upon what CD Burning software you use, run the diagnostics to verify the exact nature of the problem, viz., hardware or software.

There are many possibilities out here so a diagnosing tool would help better than any other. See if ya can gather all the info and post it here... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back