Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACD's and (possibly) Hunt groups 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jae113

Technical User
Mar 17, 2009
US
Hello,

I believe what I want to do is set up an ACD, but I don't know where to begin. I've been reading the forums, so I have a general idea of why and even some how, but What IS an ACD exactly?

Let me explain what I'm trying to do, and please let me know if ACD is the way to go, and what an ACD is if it's needed.

I have a Help Desk at our school where staff can call 4444 and it rings on 8 phones. If no one answers after 4 rings, it hunts to 4448 and rings on the first 8 phones and an additional 3 phones. Then if no one picks up, it goes to voice mail. After messages have sat for an hour, Remote Messaging calls 4444 to let them know there is a message.

Another school is joining our school and we would like to set them up into our Help Desk. I would like to create a number for them to call, 7878, for example, and have that number always forward to 4444 and go right into the hunting I described above.

I can't have them just call 4444 because it isn't a DID, and we don't want it to be. I want 7878 to go to 4444 with caller ID, so I do want it to be an internal number.

Is ACD the best way to go? I would like to not have to use a TN if possible, and a dummy analog phone probably isn't going to be the best solution. There were a LOT of dummy phones when I started working here, some digital, some analog, and my boss hated them! When we upgraded our system that was one of the things he asked to get rid of, so I don't want to throw in another phone to sit on a floor in a wiring closet!

Any help would be very, very appreciated, and you can't talk down to me so ask or say anything!

I only glanced over your post, Automatic Call Distribution (ACD) users "log-in" to the queue, the system disto's based on longest Idle agent, or Oldest, where you might run into trouble is hunting, maybe interflow would work, but if your Q is open, and no one answers, the OVDN, overflow DN or hunt scenerio would have to be an ACDN as well, and be open for business..

Mato' Was'aka

ACD stands for Automatic Call Distribution.

I means that for a pre-defined group of phones, call are evenly distributed among them. It comes with "reporting" as well, so you can measure the effectiveness of each person and the group as a whole when it comes to call volume and answer efficiency.

It also comes with some complexity. You have to "log in" to the phones to get calls, and each "agent" can only be working with one caller at a time. You can't just put one person on hold, and take the next call. All of this means, it is generally only good for a large group of people staffing a call center.

Now, on to what you are describing: You want to take a number, and have it redirect to another number. That is a side benefit of ACD Data Blocks. You can also use what we call a "Phantom TN" which is a TN in software only (no phone exists or needs to be plugged in anywhere)

In your case, I would just go the ACD Data Block method:

LD 23
REQ NEW
TYPE ACD
ACDN 7878
(then return to...
MAXP 1
(then return to...
NCFW 4444
(then return to...the end

Now when you call 7878 it will ring 4444

If you have a mailbox 4444, you will have to add DN 7878 to the extension list.

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators

ACD is a queue you set up for callers, define the treatment you would like to give the caller, then you build out agent phones to handle those callers. It's a great way to go for help desks and such. When you assign a phone to a ACD queue, it is called an agent phone. Whomever mans that phone, needs to physically log the phone into the queue in order to receive a call. Calls are routed to agents via the longest idle agent, meaning the agent that has gone the longest without a call, will get the next call (unless you have assigned priorities) which I won't even get into yet. If no one logs a phone in to take calls, then the caller gets night call forwarded (NCFW) to voicemail or another extension depending on what you define. If you are interested in going this route, let me know and I can post some templates for you to set it up by.

Your a madman Gene. And Bigindian is just tooo fast!

I think a closer read of the posters question is in order:

jae113 said:
Another school is joining our school and we would like to set them up into our Help Desk. I would like to create a number for them to call, 7878, for example, and have that number always forward to 4444 and go right into the hunting I described above.

GHTROUT said:
Now, on to what you are describing: You want to take a number, and have it redirect to another number. That is a side benefit of ACD Data Blocks.

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators

So, I beat you both :)

ouy vay...so anal retentive....why you're the Big Dog

Mato' Was'aka

Thanks everyone! This all looks great.

But I am trying the "Big Dog's" way :)

Couple problems here.

I can't call the 7878 acd from an outside line, and the other school is on a different phone system so they will always be an outside call

and

the caller ID only says "Call forward (extension I dialed from) 7878.

I guess the caller ID isn't too big a deal, but I wanted it to have the name of the other school.

Also, how do I out a ACD, same as the NEW?

use a DID CDN that default DN is 7878 on the system 7878 resides on.

Mato' Was'aka

I'm not sure I follow you completely bigindian65, but

7878 will be on this system, and it is a DID on here, all 7000's are, but when I tried to call it on my cell it said that it wasn't a number.

that's what you were suggesting, right?

I guess I'm confused (nothing new) 7878 is a DID but you can't call it?? You built it as a maxp 1 ACD right? and night call forwarded it to where you want it, is that correct?

Mato' Was'aka

I did put maxp 1, but I didn't call forward. I basically copied the above post and entered through. I've never done an ACD before.

can you post that 7878 ACD you built?? The NCFW is suppose to point to the Helpdesk queue of yours I'm thinking, right???

Mato' Was'aka

The MAXP only needs to be "1 or greater" - but how about that NCFW value - is it set?

You might also have an issue with CFF/CFO

[tt]
Customer Data Block RDR_DATA OPT: may require CFF (not CFO)

* Print in LD21 REQ PRT TYPE RDR
* Change in LD15 REQ CHG TYPE RDR - at OPT, enter "CFF"
[/tt]

REQ
SCH0701
REQ prt
TYPE acd
CUST 0
ACDN 7878

TYPE ACD
CUST 0
ACDN 7878
MWC NO
DSAC NO
MAXP 1