Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accreditation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzzieGeorge

Programmer
Jan 14, 2005
AU
Can anybody tell me what is a reasonable timescale and courses to achieve accreditation in this product as I need to decide whether my employer is putting unreasonable pressure on me to pass the test.

Thanks in advance
Ozzie

We need to know what test are you taking.

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

If you got the job on the understanding you were an IP Office engineer, it isn't unreasonable. If you are self taught and have less than a year under your belt (2 for the AIPS) then it probably is :)

Ok so more info,

I was employed as an NEC tech and the company is tendering for a contract that requires Avaya I believe the accreditation test is Pearson Vue test, number 3000 (don't know if that is correct though as I am totally new to the product). I'm not sure how much I can say in a public forum at the moment because this could go legal and I don't want to damage the case.

It seems unreasonable to be hired as an NEC tech and then required to be certified with Avaya, if that was not part of your job description. The 3000 is pretty easy, from the looks of the test. Though, I would not assume anyone without a few installs under their belt could pass it well, if at all.

-Austin
ACE: Implement IP Office
qrcode.png

Sounds unreasonable to me.

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

Any Idea what would be reasonable as I'm trying to put the situation in context and may have to defend my position.

I will explain further when this is settled!

I think a complete stranger to IPO should have a demo kit to play with, boot camp + basic courses, some 5-10 supervised installs, and a 3+ months in a support team before let loose on their own.

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

I got a 10 day course cut down to three days and I am expected to pass the test! No demo kit to work on and no in the field experience. There is another factor that I can't go into yet but I refused to take the test for ethical reasons and was told that if I didn't, my resignation should be on the owners desk the next day!

I would start looking around for a different job.
If i was threated like this then i would tell them to f@ck off.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Passing 3000 ACSS exam after 3 days traing? Ha-Ha-Ha!
No way!

As long as you were honest about your qualifications when you applied, they have rediculous expectations.

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

I've worked for the company for about two years and never been asked to work on Avaya. I have been asked to work on Panasonic and Samsung and I have but the way they wanted me to pass was the ethical problem, I would have willingly trained for the exam but not how they wanted me to!

If you are new on IP Office then it takes at least six months full time installation of all facets of IP Office and a full training to pass that test.
This cannot be compared with Panasonic or Samsung, all phone systems but worlds apart.

I like your ethics OzzieGeorge as I think I know what you mean by that.
Have a star for it. Sorry for your luck being pressured into this. Start writing your resume I'd say.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

“This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

I have seen such issues before, almost always it is the management who panics after a visit from a Avaya representive saying: "by the end of next month you must have all the required accreditations otherwise we stop the Avaya Partnership."
Then the managemet tell a "volunteer" to pass the test within two weeks, no matter what. And most often the point out the one person with the most change to do that, usually their best employee.
The idea is OK but the approach sucks, they should have told you the truth and hand over everything they can lay hands on to make you successful with a bonus to look forward to. That is how a good management team deal with this kind of situations apart from saying to Avaya "f*ck you, we pay good money for your products".

The reason it may go legal is that we have certain laws here in Oz which address bullying by management (as well as unfair dismissal laws) and the union is currently involved. I should be able to ride this out but if not I'm fairly sure I will be compensated.

Ok so an update....

I have been on "stress" leave for a few weeks and it looks like I am looking for a new job! There is an offer on the table but I won't get to hear what it is till tomorrow. As I expect it to include a confidentiality agreement, I may not be able to post the outcome! If not, I hope you all understand and appreciate that your support helped!

Good luck George!

[idea] You can post an Emoticon to indicate the outcome, I'm sure that won't be in the confidentiality agreement [smile]

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back