Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACCPAC DOS 7.0 RUNS SLOW FROM SERVER 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

liable

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2002
I have an nt server 4.0 with Accpac Dos 7.0 running on it. it runs fine from the 98se clients. I decided to get new workstations. I bought brand new machines loaded Win98se drivers (from cd that came with machines) and tested systems to make sure they functioned properly. Here's the fun part. I removed one of the old machines (whiched functioned fine) and created a shortcut to the pl.bat file on the server the same as it was on the old workstation. It loads Accpac but it loads extremely slow. I tried it with all of the 5 new machines with the same result.

I have changed network cards, cables, checked tcp/ip setting, network card settings, reloaded the operating system to no avail.

I have another network setup the exact same way so I tested one of the new units on that netwok and the unit functioned fine.

Is there any settings in accpac that might cause this to happen?

Are you out there AFRICANERNIE?

any suggestions would be helpful

I do have norton on I'll try uninstalling it. Thank You

You don't have to remove Norton, you just have to stop it from looking at ACCPAC Plus files. There's a control centre command for doing that somewhere. Just flag the ACCPAC Plus program directories \??ASP, the import/export & multicurrency stuff \ASP\*.*, and finally whatever your data directories are. You don't have to worry about virus's with Plus because it isn't advanced enough to have virus capabilities in the programs or the data.

ACCPAC Plus is a transactional database. Most PC applications are file based. ie Word reads the entire document, excel reads the entire spreadsheet, etc. ACCPAC Plus opens a file that's say 100 megabytes, but only needs to read 1,000 bytes and return the result to the user. But Norton scans the entire 100 MB file which causes incredible speed degradation.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back